Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
dhyantyke

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by dhyantyke »

Bannjo wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:Image

Finally in my recent Jan Garbarek immersion, this 2004 recording is recommended[/quote

I have a soft spot of Garbarek, Rites is probably his most commercial album but remember hearing for first time on a visit to Norway and it totally connected with the ambiance of the place

I don't have that recording Banjo, though with a trip to Norway on my medium term wishlist, it could be acquired following your review!
Bannjo

Post by Bannjo »

dhyantyke wrote:
Bannjo wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:Image

Finally in my recent Jan Garbarek immersion, this 2004 recording is recommended[/quote

I have a soft spot of Garbarek, Rites is probably his most commercial album but remember hearing for first time on a visit to Norway and it totally connected with the ambiance of the place

I don't have that recording Banjo, though with a trip to Norway on my medium term wishlist, it could be acquired following your review!
Definitely worth adding to you collection its a double cd that draws on a lot of different styles "...from ambient techno to large-scale choral works to Garbarek's more familiar brand of melodic jazz" and yes Gabarek is best appreciated sitting atop a mountainous fjord gazing out over the spacious wonder of a vast snowy wilderness - :)
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

I have a soft spot of Garbarek, Rites is probably his most commercial album but remember hearing for first time on a visit to Norway and it totally connected with the ambiance of the place[/quote][/quote]

I don't have that recording Banjo, though with a trip to Norway on my medium term wishlist, it could be acquired following your review![/quote]

Definitely worth adding to you collection its a double cd that draws on a lot of different styles "...from ambient techno to large-scale choral works to Garbarek's more familiar brand of melodic jazz" and yes Gabarek is best appreciated sitting atop a mountainous fjord gazing out over the spacious wonder of a vast snowy wilderness - :)[/quote]

Wow! The Norwegian 'Bord Failte' couldn't do a better job!! :)
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Those that know more than me describe this as a "must have' recording.

Alternate version of 'Monks Mood' from the Charles Lloyd one on the album posted above.
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

more great stuff!!
markof

Post by markof »

Been listening to the new one from Brad Mehldau all afternoon (on Qobuz - long may they last).
Really excellent record.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

markof wrote:Image

Been listening to the new one from Brad Mehldau all afternoon (on Qobuz - long may they last).
Really excellent record.
Mark
An artist that I have failed "to connect with" on my previous attempts. I will give this a go, if I can dig myself out of my Ecm phase for long enough. The Charles Lloyd posted above is getting repeat playing......I'm loving it.
Seán

Post by Seán »

dhyantyke wrote:
Really excellent record.
Mark
An artist that I have failed "to connect with" on my previous attempts. I will give this a go, if I can dig myself out of my Ecm phase for long enough. The Charles Lloyd posted above is getting repeat playing......I'm loving it.
If you want to fall in love with Jazz piano you need look no further than here:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

dhyantyke wrote:
markof wrote:Image

Really excellent record.
Mark
I wouldn't normally be a fan either, despite seeing him live a couple of times, but for me this collection is something special.

PS Love Evans too especially "Sunday at the Village Vanguard".
Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:
Really excellent record.
Mark
If you want to fall in love with Jazz piano you need look no further than here:

Sean, I'm well overdue getting to know the Bill Evans motherload. To this point I'm familiar with his work only through recordings of other artists and his playing, similarly. That recording looks like a good place to start. Ta