Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
dhyantyke

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by dhyantyke »

tony wrote:Lots of nice suggests here please keep it up. I have a fair number of the obvious ones but the unknown choices are all on my list to experiment with when I get around to buying CD's again. Went through a phase of buying CD's on nearly a weekly basis but dried up over the last couple of years.

Just in case you think nobody is paying any attention to the musings here!

Good to know that Tony. I tend to buy cd's in numbers with significant gaps between as I digest purchases, or indeed take breaks from listening much at all.
I recently bought around 10 which had been sitting in my wishlist for a long time.........all I might add base on suggestion from this forum. I have one more to listen to & post from that batch......after which I will 'roll the credits' !
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

cybot wrote:Hi dhyantyke,

Can't believe I missed all your ECM posts especially as they celebrate their 40 year milestone this year! Or was it last year?
So I'm going to batter you over the head with this stunning, and I mean stunning ECM recording from

I'll start with these two; the first one is, oh my God, something else! I can't begin to describe the effect it has on me! I've mentioned it before to nada response and I feel very strongly that this particular ECM gem should be in every Jazz music lovers. The yt clip is the most lyrical piece on the album but nevertheless shows the stunning tone, interplay and sonics to a remarkable degree. And to think that two of them have passed on - Paul & JF Jenny, drums & bass respectively.....

Damn the clip no longer exists! Anyway the name of the track is 'Folk Song For Rosie';

The second offering is another unusual little known gem too with a pairing of bassist Phillips, Surman and, most unusual, a voice. But what a voice! Her name? Aina Kemanis....

"my own vinyl only collection (sorry I had to get that in!) :"

I am impressed of course, but not in a place to be envious as I've never had the luxury of playing vinyl through my system.......my Benevolent Despot tidied (i.e. sent it to the skip) my old Rega turntable years ago during a long period when I didn't listen music much at all..business & kids taking up all available time/space. The cost of building a vinyl collection is enough to make me think more than twice!

I don't know either of the albums you post, but listened to the yt clip and it is certainly interesting. Both go t the wishlist for further investigation.

I don't feel at all 'battered over the head..' not yet anyway ! :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

dhyantyke wrote:

Can't believe I missed all your ECM posts especially as they celebrate their 40 year milestone this year! Or was it last year?
So I'm going to batter you over the head with this stunning, and I mean stunning ECM recording from

I'll start with these two; the first one is, oh my God, something else! I can't begin to describe the effect it has on me! I've mentioned it before to nada response and I feel very strongly that this particular ECM gem should be in every Jazz music lovers. The yt clip is the most lyrical piece on the album but nevertheless shows the stunning tone, interplay and sonics to a remarkable degree. And to think that two of them have passed on - Paul & JF Jenny, drums & bass respectively.....

Damn the clip no longer exists! Anyway the name of the track is 'Folk Song For Rosie';

The second offering is another unusual little known gem too with a pairing of bassist Phillips, Surman and, most unusual, a voice. But what a voice! Her name? Aina Kemanis....

"my own vinyl only collection (sorry I had to get that in!) :"

I am impressed of course, but not in a place to be envious as I've never had the luxury of playing vinyl through my system.......my Benevolent Despot tidied (i.e. sent it to the skip) my old Rega turntable years ago during a long period when I didn't listen music much at all..business & kids taking up all available time/space. The cost of building a vinyl collection is enough to make me think more than twice!

I don't know either of the albums you post, but listened to the yt clip and it is certainly interesting. Both go t the wishlist for further investigation.

I don't feel at all 'battered over the head..' not yet anyway ! :)
Ha ha I enjoyed that :)

Anyway whatever you do listen to 'Le Voyage' at least once in your lifetime.....I'm just raging that the YT clip was taken off! There is a live version but it doesn't have the 'feel' of the original at all.....
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

So I'm going to batter you over the head with this stunning, and I mean stunning ECM recording from my own vinyl only collection (sorry I had to get that in!) :

Yikes!! both of those come at collectors item kind of prices......in the wish list for the moment, hoping for a price drop!!

dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

just took the wrapper off this one tonight....last one from the recent haul

Another winner from ECM on first listen

cybot

Post by cybot »

[quote="dhyantyke"][quote="cybot"]Hi dhyantyke,

So I'm going to batter you over the head with this stunning, and I mean stunning ECM recording from my own vinyl only collection (sorry I had to get that in!) :

Yikes!! both of those come at collectors item kind of prices......in the wish list for the moment, hoping for a price drop!!

What are you blathering about?? I'm going to have to batter that head of yours lol! Try the site below :)

http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Motian-Trio ... se/1899076

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1577580?ev=rb

[
markof

Post by markof »

Just listened to this superb sax/piano set of gospel standards.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

I have just moved from listening to Mozart to John Coltrane. On the TT:

Giant Steps:

Syeeda's song Flute:

Naima (for his wife)
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

cybot wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:

What are you blathering about?? I'm going to have to batter that head of yours lol! Try the site below :)

http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Motian-Trio ... se/1899076

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1577580?ev=rb

[
So, having had my head soundly battered I needed some time to recover...:) !!

Thanks for those references Dermot.
I must admit I was not aware if that website, doing my shopping exclusively on Amazon.
Those recordings seem to be available only on vinyl. I would like to experiment with that format for sure, but don't have the appetite for the investment of time or money to switch over. After my last bout of upgraditis and the crap I had to put up with before I got sorted, I promised myself 'never again'!!!
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

All my recent posts with the exception of The live Pat Metheney and of course the Joni Mitchells were bought as a result of recommendations posted here:

see below for credist...!!!!