Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

I have always loved Keith Jarrett's music making and this album from the late seventies was a huge hit when it originally hit the shelves. When I worked in the Jazz record shop in the Dandelion Green we sold more copies of it than any other album; even non Jazz heads were very taken with it.

It is a double LP, containing one very long improvised solo, that flows beautifully, with lovely melodies and colours. It is richly self indulgent and yet is purely captivating, hugely enjoyable, recommended.

Part 1
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

dhyantyke wrote:

Good man Fergus, I was beginning to feel all alone in here!
My selections do tend to be limited to one end of the spectrum.... limited by lack of knowledge (!) as well as by preference!!

If you are limited by a lack of knowledge where does that leave me!! That album is one of about 10 jazz albums that I have in over 2000 LPs LOL!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Seán wrote:I have always loved Keith Jarrett's music making and this album from the late seventies was a huge hit when it originally hit the shelves. When I worked in the Jazz record shop in the Dandelion Green we sold more copies of it than any other album;

It is a double LP, containing one very long improvised solo, that flows beautifully, with lovely melodies and colours. It is richly self indulgent and yet is purely captivating, hugely enjoyable, recommended.

Part 1

'even non Jazz heads were very taken with it. '

....that's funny, as it defines me quite well......it was THE first jazz record I ever bought, and I think is still on the 'desert island ' selection!!
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

fergus wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:

Good man Fergus, I was beginning to feel all alone in here!
My selections do tend to be limited to one end of the spectrum.... limited by lack of knowledge (!) as well as by preference!!

If you are limited by a lack of knowledge where does that leave me!! That album is one of about 10 jazz albums that I have in over 2000 LPs LOL!!

I will consider myself encouraged!! :)
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Beautiful album

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow
Art Pepper's final recording sessions were comprised of duets with pianist George Cables. Pepper, who splits his time almost evenly here between alto and clarinet, is in surprisingly strong form considering that he only had a month left to live. He is heard at his best on "Goin' Home," "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying," "Isn't She Lovely," and "Lover Man," really pouring out his emotions into the ballads. Two alternate takes were added to the CD reissue, although for the complete picture, one has to acquire Art Pepper's 16-CD Galaxy box set, which contains plenty of otherwise unissued performances.
Seán

Post by Seán »

dhyantyke wrote:Beautiful album

You just cannot to go wrong with Art Pepper. He made some lovely recording with George Cables and The Trip is probably my favourite, William and Jones complete rhe lineup:
Art Pepper : alto saxophone
George Cables : piano
David Williams : bass
Elvin Jones : drums

Here are a few tracks to whet your appetite:

A Song for Richard:

Red Car:

Sweet Love of mine, oh Art could make the alto saxophone sing:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
tony

Post by tony »

Lots of nice suggests here please keep it up. I have a fair number of the obvious ones but the unknown choices are all on my list to experiment with when I get around to buying CD's again. Went through a phase of buying CD's on nearly a weekly basis but dried up over the last couple of years.

Just in case you think nobody is paying any attention to the musings here!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cybot

Post by cybot »

What do you think of this one Sean? A forgotten (and expensive!) classic....

cybot

Post by cybot »

.....and the ubiquitous yt to go with it :)

cybot

Post by cybot »

Hi dhyantyke,

Can't believe I missed all your ECM posts especially as they celebrate their 40 year milestone this year! Or was it last year?
So I'm going to batter you over the head with this stunning, and I mean stunning ECM recording from my own vinyl only collection (sorry I had to get that in!) :

I'll start with these two; the first one is, oh my God, something else! I can't begin to describe the effect it has on me! I've mentioned it before to nada response and I feel very strongly that this particular ECM gem should be in every Jazz music lovers. The yt clip is the most lyrical piece on the album but nevertheless shows the stunning tone, interplay and sonics to a remarkable degree. And to think that two of them have passed on - Paul & JF Jenny, drums & bass respectively.....

Damn the clip no longer exists! Anyway the name of the track is 'Folk Song For Rosie';

The second offering is another unusual little known gem too with a pairing of bassist Phillips, Surman and, most unusual, a voice. But what a voice! Her name? Aina Kemanis....