MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote:JC any chance of you releasing a r1/r2 script we can run to test out without us spending a half day in the registry
won't bother to script. made about 1000 changes to the OS. say 10mins per change. 10*1000/60=160 hours of coding+testing.

might do a installation ISO. properly done will add 10% SQ to what i already have.

not motivated. i can get more SQ from modding my soundcard.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:JC any chance of you releasing a r1/r2 script we can run to test out without us spending a half day in the registry

the lack of 24 bit support is getting painful too,
wonder if its possible for taggart to put in a converter to 16 44 for mqnload similar to what he did for the flac
ive converted a few with dbpoweramp and they still sound great
might keep us going for a while

i know the pay is poor and time is scarce
but its nice to be moving forward

cheers

nige

Nige

I tried down-sampling my test-tracks, that were DRC-ed, back to 16-bits with applying of dithering, but they lost the improvements the DRC-software had added into the 24-bits.
So I definitely want to have 24-bit playback.

For my main system it doesn't matter if it is in 32-bit or 24-bit containers (my office system only handles 24-bit containers but I have spotted another DDC that will handle 32-bit containers as well but it hasn't yet been released), but I now need the 24-bit playback option.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:A fair few of us moved from windows 8 to 2012 core and then R2. It is very much worth the hassle especially when I see what you are driving. Audiophil optimiser or try and utilize the CAD script for 8.
Put it on a usb stick at least you can try it and revert back to 8 if you use the pc for other stuff.

When MQn arrived the lift in performance over dual Jplay was very noticeable. I have been using MQn since. If you read the MQn thread you will read about the moment/evening when people heard it first. On that occasion it was through a pair of 57's.
Thanks Tony and Mark for you input, but I'm interested in the difference between W8.1 and R2 with MQn. Did anybody tried that?

I'm assuming that the W8.1 will be easier to use in my case?! I have no idea how the R2 works! :-(
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

for anyone is running core mode in win2012, since you already have given up hardware acceleration, you might as well use the "less resource-intensive default VGA driver" by adding "add the /BASEVIDEO switch to the Boot.ini "

"An Exchange server will not typically require a powerful graphics card or driver. You should make sure that the only the default VGA driver is installed on the server to help increase the PTEs that are available on any given server. You should also add the /BASEVIDEO switch to the Boot.ini startup parameters. This will also force windows to use a less resource-intensive default VGA driver. This is found to save around 1000 System PTEs or more."
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815372
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
tony wrote:A fair few of us moved from windows 8 to 2012 core and then R2. It is very much worth the hassle especially when I see what you are driving. Audiophil optimiser or try and utilize the CAD script for 8.
Put it on a usb stick at least you can try it and revert back to 8 if you use the pc for other stuff.

When MQn arrived the lift in performance over dual Jplay was very noticeable. I have been using MQn since. If you read the MQn thread you will read about the moment/evening when people heard it first. On that occasion it was through a pair of 57's.
Thanks Tony and Mark for you input, but I'm interested in the difference between W8.1 and R2 with MQn. Did anybody tried that?

I'm assuming that the W8.1 will be easier to use in my case?! I have no idea how the R2 works! :-(
r2 and 8.1 are very similar
will be no more difficult to use than each other
Minimal server mode and beyond gets difficult

without heavy optimisation r2 and win 8.1 is best
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

SBGK

Today I noticed that MQn won't play wav-files that have in their wav-header "Format Chunk Length = 40". I checked the specification and sizes of 16, 18 and 40 are allowed values.

Is this an oversight or is it by design that MQn won't play wav's with "Format Chunk Length = 40"?

Cheers

Aleg
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
tony

Post by tony »

Tried out 2.66 last night. SSE4 version and still works well for me. Has Gordon eaten too much pudding or is he working away like a good Father Xmas on pressies for the troops?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:Tried out 2.66 last night. SSE4 version and still works well for me. Has Gordon eaten too much pudding or is he working away like a good Father Xmas on pressies for the troops?

Tony

Gordon has said if he would like the NAD51 very much, he might stop working on MQn altogether. He said last week he thought the NAD51 as good as his best MQn player.

So I hope that's not the case :-( and he will continue, because I think MQn by far the best sounding player.

Cheers and merry xmass

Aleg
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

what's up with the remote control with NAD M51? only makes SQ less beautiful
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
tony wrote:Tried out 2.66 last night. SSE4 version and still works well for me. Has Gordon eaten too much pudding or is he working away like a good Father Xmas on pressies for the troops?

Tony

Gordon has said if he would like the NAD51 very much, he might stop working on MQn altogether. He said last week he thought the NAD51 as good as his best MQn player.

So I hope that's not the case :-( and he will continue, because I think MQn by far the best sounding player.

Cheers and merry xmass

Aleg
the m51 is the dac, m50 is the player.

Having heard it I've got to question where I am going with MQn and what the best version is, the m50 had great separation and 3d sound and mqn sounded congested, so have I been steered away from the best sounding versions by some of the testing comments.

I think using windows for high end audio playback is a dreadful idea and I just don't have the time to continue with it as before.

the best solution seems to be a device close to or in the dac that has a minimal o/s that just controls the loading of data to the dac, an ipad type device can control it. Rendering from a pc has too many issues as far as I can see.