wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by tony »

Edit just posted at the same time as Internethandle ignore my suggestion re plugging unplugging, I don't use SSD for music.That is a strange one maybe Pearse can advise if he has had that issue with sata cables. That has happened to me occasionally were I guess the handshake between mobo and drive fails but plug/unplug sorts.

This thread is not as active as MQn was I guess because MQn led the way for us anyway on players but WTFplay is the business. Fryderck keeps making nice improvements to the functionality whilst continuing to optimize a great music player(well let's be honest the best).
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

@sima66: The best advice has been given - try the ordinary SATA cable to see if it makes a difference. Also try the different SATA port on your motherboard. Another idea that I have is to check the filesystem on that disk for errors. Maybe there are errors there that your Windows installation decided to ignore, and wtfplay-live considers them not safe.

If this does not work then please drop me a PM.

Side note: ironically, trying a different SATA cable takes you closer to PPAs warranty void point. Sigh...
sima66

Post by sima66 »

frd1996 wrote:@sima66: The best advice has been given - try the ordinary SATA cable to see if it makes a difference. Also try the different SATA port on your motherboard. Another idea that I have is to check the filesystem on that disk for errors. Maybe there are errors there that your Windows installation decided to ignore, and wtfplay-live considers them not safe.

If this does not work then please drop me a PM.

Side note: ironically, trying a different SATA cable takes you closer to PPAs warranty void point. Sigh...

PPA sata is OK, because I already tried different SSD with the same cable and in the same place and it worked in WTF!
I just tried new sata cable, in different port, with my cursed SSD and, again, not seen in WTF!

I checked for errors and they were none, but now I'm doing defragmentation (just in case) and this will take a while!

I have one more stupid question: How to turn off the PC with WTF?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

There are no easy answers when it comes to custom SATA cables either from PPA or JCat, I have had loads of issues with these over recent years.
Different Motherboard Bios respond differently to these cables and it is a bit of a crap shoot if you have a cable that will not play ball with an SSD.

Best advice I can give is do not even try to make it work....either a different Motherboard or different cable.
Standard SATA cables always tend to work with all Motherboards but custom SATA cables when used with custom Motherboard powering through Linear supplier can be troublesome.

I had a PPA Sata cable that had a joint failing and caused me lots of issues until i finally tracked the issue down and re-soldered.

In terms of Windows and WTFplay I found WTFplay more tolerant of these cables, but it all comes back to the Motherboard and how good it is at sorting devices and passing them to the OS.
There are settings in Bios which sometimes can help for SATA configuration to help recognize the drives but you would have to do some googling on this for your Mobo as I cannot remember what these are right now.

Post by sima66 »

My problem now is not sata cable!
JCAT sata might have caused the problem, but now my SSD can't be seen in WTF (only), regardless what sata cable or sata port I use!
Something happen or changed (either in mobo or the SSD) when I inserted that JPLAY sata!!

EDIT:
After the defragmentation my SSD works and is recognized in WTF! Fred was right! ;-)
I just tried briefly with my same PPA sata and it works like nothing ever happen! :)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote: This thread is not as active as MQn was I guess because MQn led the way for us anyway on players but WTFplay is the business. Fryderck keeps making nice improvements to the functionality whilst continuing to optimize a great music player(well let's be honest the best).
Maybe one of the reasons is that none from the active users is posting HERE, anything about the new versions, or useful tips!
It's still more like "internal" dialog!
Thanks to Ken, I heard about the 0.5.1.91 version!

I can see now the 0.5.1.92 on the downloading site!
Wonder what's the difference from 0.5.1.91?
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

@sima66: It is very interesting what you are saying about the defragmentation. Defragmenting a filesystem on a SSD causes a lot of writes being done and shortens the SSDs life a bit.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

frd1996 wrote:@sima66: It is very interesting what you are saying about the defragmentation. Defragmenting a filesystem on a SSD causes a lot of writes being done and shortens the SSDs life a bit.
It's also shortening my life!!
Now, again is failing to display the SSD!
SSD is there, like sda1, but is failing to load!!
I get "failed to load media/sda1" and "Segmentation fault"!
tony

Post by tony »

Something wrong with that SSD. Halt is the command to shut down WTFplay. Reboot to restart the operating system.
You are correct about not much noise or info on the releases of WTFplay compared to MQn. I think a lot of us were in a different place back then. So much has happened in the last couple of years with power supplies and upgrades. I think when MQN started we had just started getting into Maplin power supplies and maybe a 12volt battery. Nigel would have used a lot of mole grips at that time and large car batteries. I had just moved from Jplay streaming on two lap tops. Personally after a certain point and with a system that is fairly tweaked detecting large noticeable differences in a minimalist player that is now very well sorted is difficult. I also have less time.

Look at Jplay they seem to have moved completely away from developing their software and now concentrate on reselling other peoples products but repackaged or improved.

Maybe development has got to the point were making the next big improvement is very difficult.

In Fryderck's case he had I think approx 2yrs of work done already on the player before we got to hear or use it. I remember hearing an early version and not being impressed. But he has cracked it at this point imho.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

One of the reasons why this thread is quiet is, that implementation of this player is very straight forward, and well documented. There is no much between the lines, that people exchange experience and help each other. MQn is more open, with some tricks and tips to make it work.
Version release on MQn was way more dynamic, as well. It slowed down recently, but I'm talking about how it used to be.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1