What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:
DaveF wrote:last nights listening.....
What did you think of that, Dave?

It did well (top modern recording??) in Rob Cowan's recent survey on "Building a Library". Rob also liked my favourite of the versions I own: Karel Šejna's early 60s Supraphon recording with the Czech Phil but it was pipped by Kubelik and the Bavarian RSO, which I would have made a hot favourite without ever having heard it!
Although I'm not really familiar with these works, this recording is well worth having IMHO. The tempos and rhythm felt just about right for this type of music and the performance overall was very spirited throughout. I'd be interested to see if other conductors are more swift in their approach.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
mcq

Post by mcq »

Just a quick word to say that over the past two nights, I've been savouring two wonderful collections of German sacred cantatas - entitled Harmoniae Sacrae and De Profundis Clamavi - both available on Ramée and both featuring the full-bodied singing of Peter Kooij with the excellent L'Armonia Sonora ensemble. The choice of repertoire is very interesting - no Bach, but the likes of Weckmann, Biber, Bruhns and Schmelzer among a host of others. Very, very impressive.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Ciaran wrote:
DaveF wrote:last nights listening.....
What did you think of that, Dave?

It did well (top modern recording??) in Rob Cowan's recent survey on "Building a Library". Rob also liked my favourite of the versions I own: Karel Šejna's early 60s Supraphon recording with the Czech Phil but it was pipped by Kubelik and the Bavarian RSO, which I would have made a hot favourite without ever having heard it!
Although I'm not really familiar with these works, this recording is well worth having IMHO. The tempos and rhythm felt just about right for this type of music and the performance overall was very spirited throughout. I'd be interested to see if other conductors are more swift in their approach.
I have the Kubelik/BRSO recordings of the Slavonic Dances. I have to confess that when I listened to it that I found it quite monotonous. I will have to revisit it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

mcq wrote:Just a quick word to say that over the past two nights, I've been savouring two wonderful collections of German sacred cantatas - entitled Harmoniae Sacrae and De Profundis Clamavi - both available on Ramée and both featuring the full-bodied singing of Peter Kooij with the excellent L'Armonia Sonora ensemble. The choice of repertoire is very interesting - no Bach, but the likes of Weckmann, Biber, Bruhns and Schmelzer among a host of others. Very, very impressive.
I have one of those -- de Profundis Clamavi -- as the combination of Peter Kooij and Weckmann was too strong a purchase proposition to resist. Very nice! I think the other is waiting in a shopping basket somewhere!

I notice that some of the players in l'Armonia Sonora are Ricercar Consort regulars, so they have a lot of experience in this repertoire.
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

In memoriam, Rudolf Barshai R.I.P.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:Image

In memoriam, Rudolf Barshai R.I.P.
I hadn't heard of his death on Tuesday until I saw this. A very great musician!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image
Mmm-mm, Alison Balsom sure does have a gorgeous embrochure. That disk is well worth having.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:
Mmm-mm, Alison Balsom sure does have a gorgeous embouchure. That disk is well worth having.
My brother-in-law referred to another disc of hers as

Bach on the crumpet! (Nice CD, actually)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Mmm-mm, Alison Balsom sure does have a gorgeous embrochure. That disk is well worth having.
I was not impressed at all Seán!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra