What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Cyndale

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by Cyndale »

Probably, I was never mad about any of the Sundazed reissues I bought, Bob Dylan, The Byrds.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Cyndale wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:40 pm
cybot wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:54 pm
tweber wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:47 pm Image Reissued as part of Stax 60

Image Buffalo Tom (great cover), passed me by first time around
Nice double helping Shane. Never got into BT but I remember the sleeve. Prime Albert though. Enjoy....
I have both of the above LPs, the Albert King version I have is Sundazed and I have a UK original of Buffalo Tom. Just wondering if the Stax reissue of Albert King is any better than the Sundazed from a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately still waiting to get time to listen to it : (
Only have it on cd before this - stax reissue good value though(€18 ). Paul Weller and Lillie Mae lps all I got to listen to so far all weekend and only briefly at that.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I have the Sundazed version of Born Under A Bad Sign and the sound is very goosed up, drums/cymbals are very prominent and in some places Albert's voice is drowned out, especially on Crosscut Saw. Curious to know if the Stax reissue improves on it.
cybot

Post by cybot »

I have a Mono Sundazed version of 'Blonde on Blonde' and my original Stereo CBS version is noticeabley better on the vocals which have have far more presence.....
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 pm I have a Mono Sundazed version of 'Blonde on Blonde' and my original Stereo CBS version is noticeabley better on the vocals which have have far more presence.....
For once Music On Vinyl got it right, their version is the same mastering as the US (cut at Sterling by Ryan K Smith). It blows the Sundazed Mono away. I am actually thinking of getting rid of the Sundazed version.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:32 pm
cybot wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 pm I have a Mono Sundazed version of 'Blonde on Blonde' and my original Stereo CBS version is noticeabley better on the vocals which have have far more presence.....
For once Music On Vinyl got it right, their version is the same mastering as the US (cut at Sterling by Ryan K Smith). It blows the Sundazed Mono away. I am actually thinking of getting rid of the Sundazed version.
Actually mine is a MOV pressing NOT a Sundaze one. As I said above the vocals haven't got the same presence as my stereo copy. Must have another listen later. The only Sundazed Bob Dylan I have is a mono Freewheelin'. Will check that one out too :)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

It mustbe your speakers, you need to get the Quadral Chromium Style 8 speakers. ha!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:22 am It mustbe your speakers, you need to get the Quadral Chromium Style 8 speakers. ha!
Ha ha ha! Methinks it's the other way round ;)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Yesterday I bought....

Sonny Landrath - Recorded Live in Lafayette (double LP, one acoustic set/one electric set)
Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign (Stax)
John Mellencamp - Sad Clowns & Hillbillies
tweber

Post by tweber »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:42 pm I have the Sundazed version of Born Under A Bad Sign and the sound is very goosed up, drums/cymbals are very prominent and in some places Albert's voice is drowned out, especially on Crosscut Saw. Curious to know if the Stax reissue improves on it.
So far only listened to Side 1 but sounds good, apart from Crosscut Saw which definitely has a weird mix. Vocals very low but not particularly drums or cymbals to the fore. I see you bought the Stax reissue, how does it compare on your own system?