System Gallery

fergus

Re: System Gallery

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Diapason wrote:I have heard it said in the past that this amp is on the brighter end of the spectrum, certainly not warm and cuddly. That said, I'd really try a bit of cable sampling here, suspending disbelief as long as necessary!
I think I will try that. I'm using Nordost superflatline speaker cable and I've read in a few places that some people think its bright. I will also try Algorithm C on the Wadia as that's supposed to give a more relaxed presentation.
You could well be on to something there Dave. I actually bought Nordost superflatline speaker cable not so lond ago from Noel Cloney purely to add a touch of "brightness" to a very relaxed sounding system and it actuall did the job so you obviously need to go in the opposite direction.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:
Diapason wrote:I have heard it said in the past that this amp is on the brighter end of the spectrum, certainly not warm and cuddly. That said, I'd really try a bit of cable sampling here, suspending disbelief as long as necessary!
I think I will try that. I'm using Nordost superflatline speaker cable and I've read in a few places that some people think its bright. I will also try Algorithm C on the Wadia as that's supposed to give a more relaxed presentation.
You could well be on to something there Dave. I actually bought Nordost superflatline speaker cable not so lond ago from Noel Cloney purely to add a touch of "brightness" to a very relaxed sounding system and it actuall did the job so you obviously need to go in the opposite direction.
It was recommended by Ivan in the shop that I keep the speaker cable as it is and that the culprit of the brightness are the Nordost SPM and Blue Heaven IC's. They do allow lots of detail through but tend to 'excite' the upper frequencies. I'll try out a few different IC's and in the meantime get one of my Valhalla XLR's sent back for retermination. Kinda sorry that I sold my Van Den Hul First Ultimates a few months ago as I think they helped solve a brightness issue on an old system.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I wonder if you were to change the power tubes, would that help? Are your current tubes KT88's or 6550's? I can't make it out from the photo, but they look like 88's.

If my memory is correct there should be bias pots on the top cover by the power transformer, so biasing after changing out power valves to EL 34's or even KT90's should not be a problem. Best to check the manual first, and perhaps drop Cloneys a line.

But perhaps to go this far, one would have to commit to buying the unit first!!!

Rather than spending big money on interconnects, it might be cheaper to re valve. Might be, who knows?

Anybody else any suggestions about this idea?

Let the Good Times Roll...................
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I would wait to buy the amp before going trying out different valves, also depending on the valve type the bias range on the dial won't indicate properly. It's most likely set up for a specific range for the kt88s.

I would pinpoint the valhallas right away.
It is a very "neutral " amp, but not bright or tending towards sibilants....

Could you borrow a set of anything else from anybody just to try?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

David, I'd recommend you get hold of a pair of Nanotec Golden Music Strada interconnects. I used these to great effect on my KT88 amp. If you like them you can easily get them made up or assemble your own from Cable Co products http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=5772

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Adrian wrote:
Rather than spending big money on interconnects, it might be cheaper to re valve. Might be, who knows?

Anybody else any suggestions about this idea?
Apart from the inevitable madness that follows tube rolling it's quite possible to spend big money on tubes too. It's not always expensive tubes that work best either, cheap ones are often perfect in the right system and expensive 'name' brands very harsh. Madness. Inevitable.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote: Kinda sorry that I sold my Van Den Hul First Ultimates a few months ago as I think they helped solve a brightness issue on an old system.
I have spare Van Den Hul First Ultimates, both screened and unscreened. Please borrow.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Fran wrote: I would pinpoint the valhallas right away.
I'm not actually using the Valhalla's Fran since they are XLR's. I'm using SPM Reference on the Wadia and a pair of the new Blue Heavens(on loan) on the TT.

@Ken. Im borrowing a pair of those Music Strada's from Ivor so I'm hopeful that they'll work as I believe that they were designed with the Airtights in mind.

@Ivor, thanks for the offer of the Van Den Huls also, I'll be in touch tomorrow.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Borrowed a few IC's off Ivor this evening. The Music Strada's have toned down the brightness a bit alright. I've being listening carefully this evening and I think that new amp sound has caused changes with the room interaction in the upper midrange, it may not be brightness afterall.
I'll try the Van den Hul's tomorrow and I've a funny feeling that they might be ones that will work best. Despite this niggling little issue the sound is absolutely glorious particularly with chamber music. I honestly didnt think an amp upgrade could have made such a difference to the sound.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:I honestly didnt think an amp upgrade could have made such a difference to the sound.
Of course it couldn't: all amplifiers working within their operating parameters sound identical...

...until you listen :P