Toshiba MOSFETs with a twist

nige2000

Re: Toshiba MOSFETs with a twist

Post by nige2000 »

abraxalito wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:01 pm No, this gain stage was designed to be just that - a stage for providing gain in front of a unity gain buffer (either for high impedance headphones like DT880s or for speakers). It could be up-biassed though to drive 32ohms - it would need the output CCS winding up to be higher than the maximum output current demanded.
is that biased by lowering the r value on the k339 source?
i lowered to 10 r but after 30 secs it gets uncomfortably warm
lt spice suggests a r of under 3 ohms and 133 mwatts for a 30 ohm load
that has to be miles too hot
Changing to a balanced supply would negate the constant current draw design philosophy. It will still work but I reckon dynamics will suffer.
because the output return is between the ccs?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

nige2000 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm is that biased by lowering the r value on the k339 source?
R86 (62ohm) on the version I have. If you run enough bias to drive 32ohm to the rail (24V), it'll overheat for sure. But 32ohm cans won't need more than 1VRMS so the trick would be to lower the power supply (no more than 6V), then you can run 40mA bias without overheating. 40mA would be 15ohm for R86.
Sorry, cannot follow your question. The return current sometimes has to go to the +ve and sometimes to the -ve rail when you run with balanced supplies.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

abraxalito wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:15 pm
nige2000 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm is that biased by lowering the r value on the k339 source?
R86 (62ohm) on the version I have. If you run enough bias to drive 32ohm to the rail (24V), it'll overheat for sure. But 32ohm cans won't need more than 1VRMS so the trick would be to lower the power supply (no more than 6V), then you can run 40mA bias without overheating. 40mA would be 15ohm for R86.
Sorry, cannot follow your question. The return current sometimes has to go to the +ve and sometimes to the -ve rail when you run with balanced supplies.
oh i thought if the return went to 0v gnd it would ruin the pssr......

just trying to learn about mosfets thanks for the info
ill go ahead and build the tk13 buffer and then hopefully a v2 compact gainstage version

have you come across any mosfets in larger packages suitable for loudspeaker that can take a heavy bias?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

There is this one, not sure if I've mentioned before - http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/p ... 0J30D.html.

It has a 410W dissipation spec but realistically I can't see any heatsinking method beyond running it under a cold tap being able to get that.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

abraxalito wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 am There is this one, not sure if I've mentioned before - http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/p ... 0J30D.html.

It has a 410W dissipation spec but realistically I can't see any heatsinking method beyond running it under a cold tap being able to get that.
if it dont sound good it could make a good electric kettle :)
i dont see any availability at the usual suspects have u found a source?
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

I have 8 in a bag on my desk - they're from Taobao. Haven't examined them electrically yet to see if they're genuine ones, but they look fine physically. I plan to try them out in the same case as the TO220 TKs, the amp using these will only need 2 per channel.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

how far did u push the bias of the to220 tk
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

At present its running a total of 2.1A for the two channels with 24V supply. Its slightly under-biassed but I rarely hear anything like distortion due to current limiting. The case can take more current I think, its not too hot to touch and this is summer where indoors its around 32oC.
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

v3.0a.jpg
v3.0a.jpg (95.26 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Fixed up the FR bumpiness by increasing the impedance of the filter ( = higher valued Ls). Now the design works with all stock inductors. An interesting change is that now the whole board is less microphonic - tapping it barely registers anything in the headphones. Could be because the caps themselves are less microphonic at lower values - I'm using mostly 100nFs now, before it was made from 1uFs. From preliminary listening the good news is it hasn't lost its addictive quality, perhaps a smidgeon less ultimate bass slam in comparison with the lower impedance filter. There will probably be some upside connected to the reduced microphony - like improved attack.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Got the hotbuff working
Well one channel
Sounds good so far on headphone