Recent Purchases

Seán

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:I almost went for that set too but in the end went for the Kubelik one instead. Do let us know how that one goes Fergus. I seem to remember a comment by you recently that you dont really rate Kubelik.
Yeah, he must have had a fever or something to have come out with that utterance, I just let it pass. What a thing to say!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:I almost went for that set too but in the end went for the Kubelik one instead. Do let us know how that one goes Fergus. I seem to remember a comment by you recently that you dont really rate Kubelik.
I don’t honestly have enough experience with Kubelik to really make a valued judgement on him Dave. Those comments would have been made in relation to his Mahler cycle which is one that I never return to and to the two recordings of Smetna’s Ma Vlast which I own....I really do prefer the Talich version over the Kubelik one (which is really very good) but tastes differ.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I agree with you on his Mahler cycle Fergus. Whereas there is nothing wrong with it really, I dont feel anything special about it and the recording quality itself sounds too thin. Not enough omph! I respect its reputation but I never listen to it.

cue abuse from Sean in 5..4..3..2..

;-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:I agree with you on his Mahler cycle Fergus. Whereas there is nothing wrong with it really, I dont feel anything special about it and the recording quality itself sounds too thin. Not enough omph! I respect its reputation but I never listen to it.

cue abuse from Sean in 5..4..3..2..

;-)
Abuse! Who me? Nah I bow to your superior intelligence! LOL
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Two recordings that I've been dying to get my hands on for while now. The Mozart one is a new release.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Two recordings that I've been dying to get my hands on for while now. The Mozart one is a new release.

An inspired purchase even if I say so myself, enjoy.
I think that I saw a copy of that in Tower too.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:
That one arrived in the post yesterday. I saw it in Tower today too. I'd imagine it's as good as the previous release which is of the later symphonies. No other recording of these works have interested me since I got the Hogwood version, and I've tried a few. Now since last month, Mackerras has gone to the top of the pile for me.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

A "Building a Library" recommendation from last year for the glorious and fascinating Serenade K. 361 for 13 instruments which was deleted shortly after it was chosen!

The latest volume (Vol. 10) in Sigiswald Kuijken's ongoing SACD series of selected Bach Cantatas. I get them as soon as they become available. I listened to Cantata 108 last night: it was lovely!

Two sacred works by Zelenka, recorded about 1985 (when Zelenka was even more obscure than he is now!) in a very nice historical performance with top-class soloists.

Arcadi Volodos casting his spell in a live 2 SACD set (MDT offers only CD, jpc offers CD, SACD, DVD and Blu-Ray!). Works by Scriabin, Ravel, Schumann and Liszt.

An SACD of some sacred works by Gombert, a composer new to me.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I finally got around to getting this one Dave....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:I finally got around to getting this one Dave....

Great stuff Fergus. Let us know what you think when you get the chance.