System Gallery

tony

Re: System Gallery

Post by tony »

bleeding gorgeous, hard to see how that will make the trip back to the shop. lucky man.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Dead jealous. Interesting that it's made you question selling the Ushers too...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Claus

Post by Claus »

Would love to hear that! Really looks amazing! Drools.... :D
fergus

Post by fergus »

That is a thing of beauty Dave!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Sure it's in the system gallery thread now, you can't send it back!

How are the dual volume controls working out?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well, it was only a matter of time before somebody bit the bullet!! Well done Dave!! Great to see the recession has not beaten us all!!

I hope it works out well for you, will you be running it with a pre amp or just use the direct inputs?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Fran wrote: How are the dual volume controls working out?
Fran
No problem for CD as I use the Wadia via the remote to fine tune the volume, the Airtight is left at a fixed setting at about 1/2 its max volume.
For vinyl I have to use the dual controls on the amp but I had to do this with the Music First pre anyway. The controls on the Airtight have much finer adjustments over the Music First so that's a plus for me.

One ever so *slight* issue that I have is that I have some brightness on some recordings. There is more detail there for sure along with many other improvements but I notice an extra bit of brightness on some female vocals. This was unexpected as I was expecting a smoother and more rounded sound given that its a valve amp. Not sure where this is coming from. It's common on both my CD and Vinyl. All cables in the system are Nordost. I'm somewhat a cable skeptic but perhaps I should look at the cabling. Ivor has offered a lend of his Music Stradas so those will be interesting.

@Adrian. I'm using the direct inputs on the amp. My Music First preamp is up for sale now.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I have heard it said in the past that this amp is on the brighter end of the spectrum, certainly not warm and cuddly. That said, I'd really try a bit of cable sampling here, suspending disbelief as long as necessary!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:I have heard it said in the past that this amp is on the brighter end of the spectrum, certainly not warm and cuddly. That said, I'd really try a bit of cable sampling here, suspending disbelief as long as necessary!
I think I will try that. I'm using Nordost superflatline speaker cable and I've read in a few places that some people think its bright. I will also try Algorithm C on the Wadia as that's supposed to give a more relaxed presentation.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've been using Algorithm C recently and, while the effect is subtle, it is indeed a little more relaxed. If you can get some hands on some Kubala Sosna cable to try, that might be worth a go.