wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by Aleg »

pink wrote:remote login via ssh will do without any SQ loss.
Needs to have the ssh deamon running all the time, so who knows what the effect will be?
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
pink

Post by pink »

is it that heavy???
anyway you not going to have remote access without running some extra processes.
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

All network related topics, remote access (SSH, telnet) as well as NFS will be evaluated in time. I think that you will have an opportunity to evaluate it yourselves. Then we all will be able to tell without guessing what is the impact of these services on SQ. If you find it negligible or none, then hurray - happy days. In the opposite case a trade-off will need to be made.

At the moment, there is one technology that can be used to remote access your audio PCs, regardless what OS you have running. It is called Intel AMT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Act ... Technology

With AMT and on supported platforms you can enable remote KVM access at BIOS level. I do not know if all consumer grade motherboards have it. I know that server/industrial boards have it as well as laptops targeted for business.
sig8

Post by sig8 »

I plan on trying wtfplay. I will need to make some changes to be able to access the computer remotely (using a TV as monitor, wireless mouse, keyboard, etc.).

I think I will use a USB thumb drive for boot, but what is the best option to store music, another USB drive like Western Digital Passport, or a SSD.

I currently do not have a SSD in the box (do a remote network Win10 boot). Thanks.
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

For the start any solution that you mentioned will work. Probably the simplest option is to drop a few music files onto another memory stick.
sig8

Post by sig8 »

frd1996 wrote:For the start any solution that you mentioned will work. Probably the simplest option is to drop a few music files onto another memory stick.
Everything worked just fine. Copied the image on to one USB and music on another USB as suggested and everything worked just fine. I used two on-board USB ports. Couple of questions:

1. How do you clear the playlist?
2. I have JCAT and SSoTM USB cards, would those improve SQ?

My first impression; SQ is very good, noise floor is lowest I have encountered in computer audio.

My Win10 system is highly tweeked, 2-pc Jplay, remote network boot, etc., so SQ is pretty good there as well.

The only thing I noticed using wtfplay vs my BugHead is that bass was lot weaker with wtf. Is it because I was using an on-board USB vs JCAT USB card, a regular USB cable vs Supra, do not know, but I will try to make things equal the next time, did not have much time to play, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
jrling

Post by jrling »

sig8 wrote:I plan on trying wtfplay. I will need to make some changes to be able to access the computer remotely (using a TV as monitor, wireless mouse, keyboard, etc.).

I think I will use a USB thumb drive for boot, but what is the best option to store music, another USB drive like Western Digital Passport, or a SSD.

I currently do not have a SSD in the box (do a remote network Win10 boot). Thanks.
Personally, I have tried both using an external WD Passport USB 3.0 hard drive and an internal SSD.
The SSD won hands down - no contest.

Several reasons could be responsible I guess; keeping non-essential USB activity to a minimum would seem sensible. One is mechanical and one is SS. Etc, etc.

But one tip frd1996 gave me, which made a material improvement, was to format the music drive, of whatever type, to FAT32 format and not NTFS. Of course, that may not be possible for you, but if it is, I would recommend doing so and then copying your music back to the reformatted FAT32 drive.

Jonathan

PS SSD drives are now much cheaper!
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

@sig8: wtfcui does not have a function to delete full playlist at once, but you can delete individual entries with d key. If you want to delete all entries on the playlist just position menu bar at the first entry and keep pressing/holding d until the playlist is empty.

As for the question regarding USB cards: I do not think anybody will be able to give you the answer. It completely depends on your system. My best advice: try it.

F
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sig8 wrote:
The only thing I noticed using wtfplay vs my BugHead is that bass was lot weaker with wtf. Is it because I was using an on-board USB vs JCAT USB card, a regular USB cable vs Supra, do not know, but I will try to make things equal the next time, did not have much time to play, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
that would be a significant disadvantage
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sig8

Post by sig8 »

nige2000 wrote:
sig8 wrote:
that would be a significant disadvantage
Can you please clarify. What would be significant disadvantage? Not using JCAT USB card for wrtplay? Just want to make sure I understand clearly. Thanks.