JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
internethandle

Re: JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Post by internethandle »

jesuscheung wrote:
internethandle wrote:.... anyway, I'm trying it out today and think it makes a good overall SQ boost, at least with YouTubes....
have you tried my flash mod??? it works on youtube. tell me what you think. download link in PE mod tweak.
Have not tried it yet - sorry, where is it? Not sure what PE Mod means...

edit: nevermind, found it. Which one do you prefer, "BETTER" or "MELLOW"? Trying out MELLOW right now and enjoying it, seems an improvement. One small thing, though: in your readme and naming of the DLL files you've modded, you have them named as "NPSWF32_11_8_800_94.dll" when the version of Flash you provide is 11_8_800_168, so they have to be renamed as "NPSWF32_11_8_800_168.dll" in order to work, not 94.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

i use BETTER. think MELLOW too mellow.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

----TWEAK 26----

after you have done tweak 19, 20, 21, 24,
you have basically
-changed a huge amount in ntfs permission/index table,
-deleted 10000 to 40000 files (physical or hard link) depending how 'old' is your OS.
-deleted a lot services
-deleted almost all server features/roles in win2012 that don't exist in win8

remember to defrag.

also you might notice harsh treble due to increase clarity.
don't worry. after your OS has 'burnt-in', the harshness will mellow out.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Hey JC, for Tweak 18 and the Intel SATA driver, are you referring to the same recommendations as pkshan, which is for AHCI in the BIOS? I can't get AHCI to work on my system - setting it to such in the BIOS results in a BSOD, only can use IDE...

Also concur that defrag is not just good but essential! I do so before every critical listening session for both my OS and music drives. I like Auslogics Disk Defrag the best.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

internethandle wrote:Hey JC, for Tweak 18 and the Intel SATA driver, are you referring to the same recommendations as pkshan, which is for AHCI in the BIOS? I can't get AHCI to work on my system - setting it to such in the BIOS results in a BSOD, only can use IDE...

Also concur that defrag is not just good but essential! I do so before every critical listening session for both my OS and music drives. I like Auslogics Disk Defrag the best.
hmm.. nowadays isn't everyone using SATA? can't help you there.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

it is safe to say, my 2012 is about to be +/-5% of the SQ of win7 XA version 1.1.

my final journey of optimizing 2012 is the registry tweak of svchost. thx to internethandle, i would not know what else is there to do (i was about to creating a installation ISO of 2012). i realize 2012 has huge fontprint in svchost no matter how many services you disable.

R2 svchost footprint is even huger. that explains why under same optimization, my 2012 sounds better than R2. R2 has introduced too much useless crap affecting SQ. the 'improved' wasapi is totally offset.

my 2012 won't be totally better than win7 XA, coz my listening skill isn't good enough, i have omitted a lot of small optimizations. who cares. when i am done, i will after a new hobby.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Glad you've made progress with the svchost tweak. That's definitely the most obscure tweak I think I've done to my Win 7 install, but I'll try and think of others... it's been so long since I started tweaking this install that I'm beginning to forget what I've done!

As for the IDE/AHCI thing, I figured it out! A quick Google search revealed that I had the Windows AHCI service disabled in the registry, so when I enabled it Windows installed my two HDD's with new AHCI drivers, which I can now use to update to pkshan's recommendation. No idea why I never bothered to look further into this in the first place, it seems most people recommend having HDD's set to AHCI SATA mode and now IDE SATA mode. Thanks, probably will boost my SQ pretty significantly!
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

svchost tweak is huge! try do something random! SQ will massively drop! that's how much impact it can do hahaaha

i am hoping a 'correct' tweak will produce as much impact positively haha. it will take a long time before i can come up with a list.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

---TWEAK 27---
intel HD graphic (hd4000)

1. choose balance or low power plan in "Power Option".
low = tighter
balance = loosen
high = DON'T USE IT. MICRO IS A MESS.
2. manual voltage vs offset
in my case,

best manual voltage=auto
best offset voltage=auto

manual is tighter.
offset is looser.

4. disable igfxTray.exe and hotKeysCmds.exe from windows start up.
5. disable Intel Integrated Clock Controller service.
6. no need to touch Intel Content Production service.
Last edited by jesuscheung on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:44 am, edited 14 times in total.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

JC, have you looked into autoruns as I suggested some posts back? It's a good utility - free from Microsoft. It basically is a registry editor with a better GUI, lists most (but not all if you look at the registry!) of the things the registry has set to run either upon bootup or shortly after bootup for a particular Windows build. I think it works with Win8/2012 but not sure... Anyway, it's alerted me to things I can disable in registry that I wouldn't have known about without it. Look at cMP's website's autoruns section for more info if needed. Anyway, just something else to play around with. A good example would be the "Security Providers" tab in AutoRuns - I've been able to disable everything but "msv_10" which is the Windows Genuine Advantage registry location, as cics from cMP suggested. Gets rid of a lot of Windows security overhead that is pretty useless, I think. Not sure about SQ though! lol