What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:
I an very impressed with your latest avatar....my favourite recording of one of my favourite classical music works!!
I had you in mind... ;-))
I am honoured that you should think of me, my friend....did you enjoy the performance?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ oh, absolutely... tbh, I think Karajan's Richard Strauss tone poems are the only example of me having two different versions of a work by the same composer and conductor, in my collection... but I think his style of orchestration fits late Romantic repertoire like a glove.. :-))

J
fergus

Post by fergus »

Yes, I agree....HvK really is very, very good with Strauss.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

A recent purchase....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:Last night I had the good fortune to listen to the live broadcast on Lyric of the NSO performance of Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony from the NCH. It was thrilling.

So today I blew the dust off my Karajan/BPO recording and gave it a spin, I prefer the NSO reading.
I was there, it was really excellent, though it was a pity the horns fluffed the dramatic opening. There was a what looked like a group of schoolgirls in the choir stalls who jumped a mile at the cymbal/ bass drum crash a the start of the last movement. Oh to be able to be surprised by that again!!

Also a terrific Shostakovich Ist Piano and Trumpet Concerto with Hugh Tinney. Terrific knockabout fun with Graham Hastings, principal trumpet of the orchestra taking the other solo part.

The concert started with the first performance something by David Fennessy. Last performance too, I hope! It broke into a quotation of a Bach tune towards the end, making me think, yes, some melody would have been nice...

Other than that, this is the third Friday in a row that the concert has been excellent, but poorly attended.

As for Tchaikovsky recommendations, I've said it before, but for 4,5 6, you need Mravinsky!! Gatti's recent SACDs on HM are very good, too. I must get myself 1, 2 and 3: I barely know them and don't have them on record!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:A recent purchase....

One of my favourite records!!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:There are times when one needs to physically relax, to listen and concentrate on something really beautiful: Pollini's playing of Chopin's Poloainses does it for me, every time, it's music on a higher plain:

That is yet another one of Ciaran's many recommendations.
I've being eyeing up that one in Tower now for some time. Now you've made me want to go pick up it up tomorrow. :))))
An essential purchase!! I've been listening to those recordings on LP and CD for over 30 years and they're still wonderful to hear.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Jared wrote:
Hello everyone... ;-))

I have been enjoying my first couple of run throughs of Bax's Symphonic output, courtesy of his principal supporter and exponent, Vernon Handley... whilst not quite (IMHO) of the overall quality of RVW, these really are a welcome find for me, and I shall continue to concentrate on them and enjoy them through the month of February.
Hi Jared, and welcome to this forum! A number of us post on CMG (a lot in some cases!), but you're the first CMGer to visit here. Stick around: it's very relaxed and friendly!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:

I seem to remember you using this disc while trying out some dCS equipment amongst other stuff way back on the old old forum.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:
Ciaran wrote:

I seem to remember you using this disc while trying out some dCS equipment amongst other stuff way back on the old old forum.
Yes, that was the SACD which sold me the dCS Scarlatti. Dangerous (or at least expensive!) to own if you have any tendencies in that direction!