What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image
I love Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. I have the Svetlanov/LSO live recording from 1978, it's paired with a great rendition of Scriabin's, Le Poème de l'extase. My favourite version, however, is the Kondrashin/Concertgebouw Orchestra from 1979, it is magnificent, well worth having.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Dvorak: Serenade for Strings & Serenade for Wind Instruments....

These are two beautifully melodious works and always a pleasure to listen to.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Sibelius – Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7 [Ashkenazy]....

No. 5 was another wonderfully rich and powerful performance hat is full of intensity.
No. 7 was also a very strong performance that is full of power and conviction....one of the better versions that I have heard!
fergus

Post by fergus »

John Williams playing transcriptions for guitar.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Various Vivaldi Concertos for Mandolins, Lute, Recorders, cellos, flutes, trumpets. Most pieces here are performed by Hogwood and the AAM. I think Fergus that you would definitely enjoy this one!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image

Various Vivaldi Concertos for Mandolins, Lute, Recorders, cellos, flutes, trumpets. Most pieces here are performed by Hogwood and the AAM. I think Fergus that you would definitely enjoy this one!
I am sure that I would Dave and it has been on the Wish List for a long time now....I simply must get my act together and buy it soon!!!
mcq

Post by mcq »

DaveF wrote:Image

Hogwood is very good with Vivaldi's (instrumental) music. There is an excellent 6-CD box of his very fine recordings with the Academy of Ancient Music of Il cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione (Op.8), L'estro armonico (Op.3), La stravaganza (Op.4) and La cetra (Op.9) on Decca which is warmly recommended.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:.... There is an excellent 6-CD box of his very fine recordings with the Academy of Ancient Music of Il cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione (Op.8), L'estro armonico (Op.3), La stravaganza (Op.4) and La cetra (Op.9) on Decca which is warmly recommended.
Thank you for that mcq....I will indeed check that one out.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I found this to be a wonderful version and Ferrier is absolutely glorious in the “Der Abschied” (Farewell) section. There are also three of the Rukert Lieder on the disc one of which is my favourite Mahler Orchestral Song namely “Um Mitternacht”. This is also a very fine if somewhat restrained version.