Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by jkeny »

You're on that forum again, Tony - :)
Told you those guys know nuttin' - not even how to manufacturer "competently designed" speakers!!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

i got one of them usb batteries today its a bit better than the three alkaline d cells and can be charged and discharged at the same time
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... UTF8&psc=1
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:i got one of them usb batteries today its a bit better than the three alkaline d cells and can be charged and discharged at the same time
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... UTF8&psc=1
That's a result! Had another look at that link & see that they also do a 20000mAh version which can output 12V, 16V or 19V @3A along with 5V@2A. Perfect for the NUC - I ordered one - saves all the faffing around with battery management pcbs.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Good find John/Nige, just ordered a 19v one myself to see if it will work with the Cirrus7.

Post by jkeny »

Sligolad wrote:Good find John/Nige, just ordered a 19v one myself to see if it will work with the Cirrus7.
I figured even if it isn't perfect for audio, it will be good for recharging phones, tablets laptops.
It's also the top one recommended in all reviews that I have looked at.
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:Good find John/Nige, just ordered a 19v one myself to see if it will work with the Cirrus7.
it might be good for the cirrus alright, but the difference between single battery into pc and three batteries, brings a huge/massive leap in body and dynamics, id suggest at least the operating system on battery wether that be usb3 or ssd in addition to your 19v

i was going to buy this one myself but id better pursue cheaper options first 12v batteries are not exactly odd or rare,
waiting on fran to test a car battery vs a small 12v SLA which would be a manageable solution if it sounds good
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
it might be good for the cirrus alright, but the difference between single battery into pc and three batteries, brings a huge/massive leap in body and dynamics, id suggest at least the operating system on battery wether that be usb3 or ssd in addition to your 19v

i was going to buy this one myself but id better pursue cheaper options first 12v batteries are not exactly odd or rare,
waiting on fran to test a car battery vs a small 12v SLA which would be a manageable solution if it sounds good
Nige, remind me again, please what your 3 batteries are powering - the Alzheimers, you know?
One powering your OS drive (USB3?) 5V
One powering your music file storage, (SSD?), 5V
One powering the PC via Pico?
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

good question John I've obviously not mentioned it before!!!!!!!

the pico supplies the 24pin motherboard socket, pico battery supply in here

theres a 12v 4 pin cpu socket on itx, atx and matx motherboards

then the operating system, still having a preference for usb but theres not much in it anymore since going for a separate supply on ssd

having storage on a separate supply will benefit too but its further down on the list of priorities
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

So let me ask some more Qs, please:
- is the 4 pin CPU socket only providing power to CPU - this is powered from battery?
- the other motherboard socket is supplied by the Pico?
- are the PSes listed in the order of importance for the sound? i.e. CPU, storage, OS or is it CPU OS, storage?
- you mentioned 2 supplies sounding detailed but lacking body & 3 bringing back that body - what was the 3rd PS supplying?
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

2 car batteries are working off the motherboard and pico (one each)
the third for the operating system the 3 batteries tapped together gave the big lift if memory serves me right. I am considering at least the option of the 5v as it is neat and tidy.Hope the one picked by Nigel off ebay does the biz.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.