What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Dave is that the re-issue of the original and earlier Sony cycle?
I have no Mahler performed by Bernstein and that situation will be rectified in due course but the question, as always, is which one to get? The early Sony cycle seems to be the one that is most commented on.....
Its a reissue of the original cycle Fergus from Sony or Columbia as it was back then. Sonically the later cycle with DG is the better one and there are some fine performances there but for me and many others the earlier cycle is the one to get. The reissued version of the early cycle has had some very worthwhile sonic improvements made to it. The 3rd symphony is absolutely epic! :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:To be honest, if you've consumed the complete Bach organ works, I should probably come to you for advice at this stage! Koopman would be a very good idea for further exploration, and I think I'm right in saying he has recorded full cycles a few times and lots of collections as well. He can be a little eccentric at times, and has a tendency to over-ornament for my taste, but he's always interesting and always has something to say. I'm growing to admire his playing more and more as times goes on. So yep, good choice. Some others love Hans Fagius' set (originally recorded on BIS but now available at knock-down rates on Brilliant) and while I'm not always a fan, it's cheap enough that it's definitely worth having. I've been collecting Oortmerssen's set (http://www.oortmerssen.com) and sometimes it's very enlightening, sometimes it just comes across as boring and ponderous. Mainstream sets by Christopher Herrick and Simon Preston are pretty good and recorded on beautiful instruments (modern, built using Baroque ideals), but played in quite an "English" way that's a bit different to the Koopmans of this world.

For Buxtehude, I'd recommend the Bryndorf recordings that Ciaran has posted before, and I also really like the Hans Davidsson recordings on organs tuned in Meantone. They're very interesting in a sonic sense, but the performances themselves are also top-drawer. Harold Vogel has recorded a well-regarded complete set of Buxtehude, but I've never heard any of them. In any case, I'd go slowly here: even organists find Buxtehude hard-going to listen to at times!!

Apart from that, I don't have many specific recommendations, as I'm inclined to buy single discs of organs or organists I'm interested in rather than following a composer.
Thanks for all of that Simon. My natural inclination would be to turn to Koopman next and I have the Herrick set on my Wish List too. I will also check out your other recommendations.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
I dont have any recordings of those Quintets. How did you find them Fergus?
I liked the music Dave and they were well played and well recorded....and at Naxos prices it is a very attractive CD to have!
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Dave is that the re-issue of the original and earlier Sony cycle?
I have no Mahler performed by Bernstein and that situation will be rectified in due course but the question, as always, is which one to get? The early Sony cycle seems to be the one that is most commented on.....
Its a reissue of the original cycle Fergus from Sony or Columbia as it was back then. Sonically the later cycle with DG is the better one and there are some fine performances there but for me and many others the earlier cycle is the one to get. The reissued version of the early cycle has had some very worthwhile sonic improvements made to it. The 3rd symphony is absolutely epic! :-)
OK Dave, the re-issued version of the earlier Sony cycle is the one I will (eventually) go for then....thanks for that!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

It was good to hear the BPO under Karajan's batton once again but overall this recording fell just a little short of expectations. The performance itself was fine but the balance of the sonics wasnt quite right I felt. The brass was far too low at times and then it would just suddenly erupt making me dive for the volume control. It got a bit irritating at times and kinda ruined the experience but just a little mind. Anyway the highlight of the piece was the famous 4th movement.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Vivaldi – L’estro armonico played by Europa Galante/Fabio Biondi....

As ever with Biondi’s interpretations he really attacks the music in the allegro sections with great energy and vitality but without the music ever developing into a frenzy. The slow movements by way of contrast are beautifully languid and lethargic and are laden with suggestive expression. The sound is full and the recording is first class.
This innovative and charming music makes for compelling listening.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Image

It was good to hear the BPO under Karajan's batton once again but overall this recording fell just a little short of expectations. The performance itself was fine but the balance of the sonics wasnt quite right I felt. The brass was far too low at times and then it would just suddenly erupt making me dive for the volume control. It got a bit irritating at times and kinda ruined the experience but just a little mind. Anyway the highlight of the piece was the famous 4th movement.
Take off yer hi-fat hat for a mo, ( a sacrilege in these parts I know) and listen to the music.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
mcq

Post by mcq »

Over the past two weeks, I've been enjoying some recent purchases.

First of all, Fabio Bonizzoni's wonderful recordings of Handel's Italian cantatas on the Glossa label. Fiery and passionate in the grand Italianate style.

Secondly, Riccardo Muti's exceptional series of Cherubini masses collected in a bargain-priced EMI box. Perhaps Muti's greatest achievement (although I do love his 70s recordings of the Verdi operas on EMI). You can sense Muti felt a strong personal attachment to this composer's deeply beautiful music.

Thirdly, Vagn Holmboe's complete string quartets collected in a Da Capo box in unbeatable performances by the Kontra Quartet. Arguably some of the greatest music written for string quartet in the twentieth century.

Fourthly, the Avison Ensemble's glorious recordings of Handel's Concerti Grossi Op.6 on Linn. These concerti grossi of Handel are compositions that, like Bach's immortal Brandenburg Concertos, I find difficult to resist. Rather more measured in tempi than some period instrument recordings, they are nonetheless deeply rewarding.

Fifthly, Frans Bruggen's noteworthy performance of Bach's Mass in B Minor on Glossa. Perhaps the greatest testament I can pay to this richly powerful recording is that I listened to Gardiner's classic performance the day before and was startled to find that I preferred Bruggen by no small margin. An intensely involving and overwhelmingly emotional experience of this greatest of masterpieces.

Sixthly, Isabelle Faust's and Alexander Melnikov's superb performances of the Beethoven violin sonatas on Harmonia Mundi. The Martha Argerich/Gidon Kremer recordings on DG have been some of my most most-played discs of the last year and must surely count as some of either artist's greatest achievements. The new recording comes close, very close, to that exalted level. They dig deep into these great masterpieces (which, to me, are some of the most personal music in Beethoven's canon), highlighting the almost Haydnesque wit and charm inherent in this beautiful music.

Finally, Philippe Pierlot's simply beautiful rendition of Bach's Magnificat on Mirare. This is a simply wonderful and truly heart-gladdening experience which might well be the greatest Magnificat of them all.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

mcq wrote:Isabelle Faust's and Alexander Melnikov's superb performances of the Beethoven violin sonatas on Harmonia Mundi. The Martha Argerich/Gidon Kremer recordings on DG have been some of my most most-played discs of the last year and must surely count as some of either artist's greatest achievements. The new recording comes close, very close, to that exalted level. They dig deep into these great masterpieces (which, to me, are some of the most personal music in Beethoven's canon), highlighting the almost Haydnesque wit and charm inherent in this beautiful music.

Philippe Pierlot's simply beautiful rendition of Bach's Magnificat on Mirare. This is a simply wonderful and truly heart-gladdening experience which might well be the greatest Magnificat of them all.
I've been enjoying the Faust/Melnikov set too: I think it's really wonderful. Completely different and also wonderful is the new Mullova/Bezuidenhout CD of the Kreutzer and Op. 12 No. 3.

It felt as though I had never heard the Kreutzer before (and in a good way!). Alina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghien have started a new series of Beethoven Violin Sonatas on Wigmore Hall Live

which I'm looking forward to hearing.

I've been collecting the Ricercar/Pierlot Bach CDs

as they appear and I feel that they are the absolute cutting edge of Bach performance. I just wish they were more prolific: it must be about time for another CD from them by now, mustn't it?
mcq

Post by mcq »

Thanks for that, Ciaran. I've had my eye on the Pierlot Bach CDs for a while now (and also the Kujiken cantata series on Accent). I really must take the plunge. And the Mullova/Bezuidenhout and Igragimova/Tiberghien CDs also look tempting (as do the Augustin Dumay/Maria Joao Pires performances of the Beethoven sonatas on DG). There really is so much great music out there.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.