Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

David with Hope on their first album together....

A review:

Mazzy Star's debut album is a dreamy blend of folk/pop with hints of blues and a twist of 1960s-style psychedelic rock. What really stands out, though, is Hope Sandoval's remarkable voice, by turns honeyed, strong and plaintive but always pretty damn sexy.

The most successful tracks are those with a more minimal backing to Sandoval's vocals, for example `Ride It On' and `Give You My Loving'. `I'm Sailing' shows a strong blues influence whilst `Ghost Highway' and the title track are rockier numbers. These latter songs are the albums slight weak points, the title track in particular outstays its welcome a little.

The lyrics match Sandoval's vocals beautifully - melancholy tales of absent men and unrequited love are steeped in the atmosphere of America's Deep South.

`She Hangs Brightly' is a lovely record with few faults; as mentioned the best tracks are truly exquisite. Recommended.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

The second of Mazzy Star's albums. Gosh, its rather good. Hauntingly beautiful and relaxing.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:Image

The second of Mazzy Star's albums. Gosh, its rather good. Hauntingly beautiful and relaxing.
You'll be hearing soft heavily reverbed whispers in your sleep tonight :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just to see was I over critical on it's initial release. Hope Sandoval's first album without her mentor....

cybot

Post by cybot »

This is a beautiful,beautiful record. I e-mailed Peter about the record and whilst speaking highly of it I wanted to know was that himself and Raúl at the tree swing (after having perused the sleeve notes). See the results for yourself below :-) The barn belongs to his Dad and he records some of his stuff there.... The gorgeous painting was done by the label boss Chad Crouch....

Raúl Rauelsson w/Peter Broderick - Réplica (Hush Records)

Picture of home by Peter...
Last edited by cybot on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Hope Sandovals contribution to one of thetracks on the new Massive Attack album is stunning.
cybot

Post by cybot »

PeterK wrote:Hope Sandovals contribution to one of thetracks on the new Massive Attack album is stunning.
Now what's the name of that track? Let me go check as I have the album sitting here beside me! It's 'Paradise Circus'. To tell the truth I was bit underwhelmed when I listened to it this morning.Maybe I'll change my mind later.... BTW Liz Fraser's 'Teardrop' still cuts it for me :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

David and Kendra's last album together. Definitely his heaviest guitar work. Mazzy Star was just around the corner - the storm before the calm :)