Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ken Moreland

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Ken Moreland »

Bought yet another Maplin PS yesterday in their Boucher Rd shop in Belfast for 50euro approx and this morning hooked up the power direct to the board. I was expecting some subtle difference if anything at all and was shocked by the impact. I'm already using one to power the PicoPSU but this is a major leap. I also have one powering the router (similar to Fujak on Jplay)but that made little if any difference. Great stuff .
P.S. Nige, Maplins send their regards.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Bought yet another Maplin PS yesterday in their Boucher Rd shop in Belfast for 50euro approx and this morning hooked up the power direct to the board. I was expecting some subtle difference if anything at all and was shocked by the impact. I'm already using one to power the PicoPSU but this is a major leap. I also have one powering the router (similar to Fujak on Jplay)but that made little if any difference. Great stuff .
P.S. Nige, Maplins send their regards.
what voltage is the powersupply to the router?

if you get external power your ssd/usb3 you should get an almost similar increase the ssd mod being very straight forward

Maplins didnt send me down a bottle of wine or something similar for my help with the sales

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

The router is 12V. I bought the smallest Maplin PS ,if I was smarter I'd have bought the biggest one and wouldn't have needed to buy another. I'm running the dac via the Adnaco and the O/S from the Sandisk USB key. The O/S won't boot from the Adnaco because it needs to be up and running,I believe.
The USB socket is directly connected to the board but there are others which are connected by cable so it would be easy enough to put 5V in there. I could also go back to using SSD and hook it up there.

I'm unclear how long the Server 2012 will last before licencing issues will arise. I see some people on Jplay are having licence related stoppages already, but I think it will only last 180 days. Any thoughts?
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ive tested the 5 amp maplin linear and its pretty poor sonically i associate it with worsening the sound, the 5 amp and the 3 amp look identical id imagine they have most of the same internal parts,
so i wouldnt use them ( i did post this a while back, maybe if you dont have it long you could bring it back get something else)

id probably go with the ssd method for your setup especially since you have one already and you want to get a clean supply into it,
i hope to try 3 AA batteries for the wtg stick as it seems to work fine with 4 volts but no less, now that would be a cheap upgrade if it works out like i hope

ill probably cross the windows licensing bridge when i come to it, if it happens ill just reinstall core server to keep going until i find a solution

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

So Nigel, you think the 7A maplin supply is the only one to go for?

It might well be that this one has a better regulation/filtration on the PS, with less ripple etc.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

You might be able to get around the core server license issue by resetting the clock in the motherboard bios to an earlier date.

Used to work in the past, not to sure if it still works in today's climate.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:So Nigel, you think the 7A maplin supply is the only one to go for?

It might well be that this one has a better regulation/filtration on the PS, with less ripple etc.

Fran
yes its the best ive found so far except for pairing a toroidal transformer with something like this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5AMP-Adjustable- ... 5d33527654.
which could be a smaller tidier job, maybe two/three built into a case would work out nice and at similar sq properties as the 7 amp maplin (aka couldn't tell difference)

right on to more experimentation

as this is such a low cost experiment would suggest that some of you try it
three 1.5 v batteries (4.5v) connected in to ssd or usb3
of course this is along with the vehicle battery to pico

basically i couldn't stop listening to music till i ran the batteries flat (only took 2 hours though for the AA's)

this in single pc is beating 2pc streaming which means theres more SQ to come when i buy shares in Duracell

nige
tony

Post by tony »

I have put a buy order in already for duracell. Look forward to hearing it as any other suggestion you have made works.
Just got my head around the maplin things and now they are obsolete.

Took some bashing today on uk forums doing a bit if JK sparring.Don't know why I bothered as flat earthers just swarm out of the woods.
John must have a head of steel as I couldn't keep it up.

Got a few nice links though from some enlightened souls and Richard(Dowser) resurfaced on one thread. He moved to Switzerland awhile back.

http://www.corning.com/CableSystems/Opt ... f2D3m14mSo

Like to see Nigel getting his power supplies and batteries into this beaut.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2013/07 ... g-update/2
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:I have put a buy order in already for duracell. Look forward to hearing it as any other suggestion you have made works.
Just got my head around the maplin things and now they are obsolete.

Took some bashing today on uk forums doing a bit if JK sparring.Don't know why I bothered as flat earthers just swarm out of the woods.
John must have a head of steel as I couldn't keep it up.

Got a few nice links though from some enlightened souls and Richard(Dowser) resurfaced on one thread. He moved to Switzerland awhile back.

http://www.corning.com/CableSystems/Opt ... f2D3m14mSo

Like to see Nigel getting his power supplies and batteries into this beaut.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2013/07 ... g-update/2
what were you defending today on the fourms

the linear supplies are still a very very workable solution, although i think this looks extremely promising its only me experimenting
tony

Post by tony »

Ah I just posted about some of the various stuff that have been floating around our thread in a thread started by somebody asking about windows server.

If you want to see how silly your linear supplies are and how pointless see thread. I get my ass kicked repeatedly but sometimes one has to take one for the team! I knew they would come out in their droves. Got rid of a batch of them on another thread but this bunch are 'experts' I didn't stand a chance.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... ost1632715
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.