Recent Purchases

Seán

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote: Image
That's a very good set, it is consistently good througout.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:
I hope so Seán! It will have to be extremely good to beat some of the Goodman and Hogwood versions that I have. I realise that the orchestra here will be very different sounding to the two I just mentioned so I'm curious as to how I'll find it.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:
DaveF wrote: That's a very good set, it is consistently good througout.
I hope so Seán! It will have to be extremely good to beat some of the Goodman and Hogwood versions that I have. I realise that the orchestra here will be very different sounding to the two I just mentioned so I'm curious as to how I'll find it.
I'm not sure if it will actually beat the period instrument ensembles into second place but what it will do is enable you to familiarise yourself with any and all of Haydn's symphonies performed by a very good orchestra at an affordable price.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:
I agree with Seán that they are consistently good performances throughout and are all played to a high standard. The sound is very different as you said Dave and I have a problem with the tempo of the slow movements throughout. I must confess that if I want to listen to a Haydn symphony I will reach for Goodman first so it will be interesting to see how you get on.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared tempted....

....and I finally bought!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

From the inimitable Michael Dervan in today's Irish Times:
London Symphony Orchestra/ István Kertész, Philharmonia Hungarica/Antal Doráti Decca Collectors Edition 476 2303 (4 CDs) ****

Decca served Hungarian composer Zoltán Kodály well over the years. This new collection brings together Decca’s recordings (from the 1960s and 1970s) of his mostly folksy, colourful and tuneful orchestral works under Antal Doráti, with István Kertész’s versions of the oratorio Psalmus Hungaricus and the musical numbers of Háry János , a Singspiel with a dependency on spoken text that has limited its appeal in the opera house. Decca solved the dialogue problem by hiring Peter Ustinov as a multi-voiced, summarising narrator with sound effects.
And the music is as instantly appealing as the selection in the popular Háry János Suite (also included) would lead you to expect. It’s a pity that this attractively-priced set has no libretto. See url.ie/4w4k
fergus

Post by fergus »

I finally managed to get around to buying this one....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán

Post by Seán »

I was in Tower today and bought these Savall Bach CDs:

and
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote: Image
hmm I wonder if that is the same recording that Simon posted up 2 weeks ago. (The one that's due for release at the end of this month)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP