What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
tony

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by tony »

Thanks Dermot I was meant to have a look at castle howards recently just 5mins up the road but they were gone before I got a chance.
I will be curious to see what they say about the new castles. Wouldnt be gone on the name. I still reckon I will get a pair of susspendors when funding is approved.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cybot

Post by cybot »

tony wrote:Thanks Dermot I was meant to have a look at castle howards recently just 5mins up the road but they were gone before I got a chance.
I will be curious to see what they say about the new castles. Wouldnt be gone on the name. I still reckon I will get a pair of susspendors when funding is approved.
Suspended upside down, methinks :-)))
tony

Post by tony »

Had a good laugh at that. unfortunately I think you are spot on. I dont know what the reason for Talking Heads lack of appearances on this forum, most brothers seem to prefer rock or classical or maybe David Byrne just annoys people. Anyway such is life
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote: I dont know what the reason for Talking Heads lack of appearances on this forum..
I don't think there's any particular reason for that... I imagine most music fans will be fans of Talking Heads and David Byrnes stuff... certainly I am. "Remain in Light" is one of THE GREAT Albums but not one I go back to regularly. David Byrne is a genius, no question, but I'm guessing sometimes a little too quirky for the mainstream even here. He gets my vote for the Luaka Bop label alone (and Tom Zé in particular... and I can't find any of his CDs at home at the moment!).
The answer is simple Tony... write up a piece yourself on why THs and DB are the Dog's danglies..
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Ok Ivor I think you succintly covered the topic there but I accept your challenge and will have a go at putting the case forward. Dont hold your breath though a work of art takes a long time to construct. It will probably end up being my winter project for 2011. Bit like my quest for new speakers.
cybot

Post by cybot »

tony wrote:Thanks Dermot I was meant to have a look at castle howards recently just 5mins up the road but they were gone before I got a chance.
tony wrote:Had a good laugh at that. unfortunately I think you are spot on. I dont know what the reason for Talking Heads lack of appearances on this forum, most brothers seem to prefer rock or classical or maybe David Byrne just annoys people. Anyway such is life
Oh no, misinterpreted again! I wasn't talking about Talking Heads (I love them too!!) the more way out the better :-)) Read your original reply to mine (see highlight in red above!) You probably meant to say Spendors (as in speakers!) and I replied with the witty rejoinder - 'upside down, methinks' (by the wife, I meant...ha ha).So now you know that I wasn't running down your favourite band; I would never,ever do that.....
tony

Post by tony »

Hi Dermot Eh I think a lot of cross lines here. 'Had a good laugh at that. unfortunately I think you are spot on' That bit relates to your riposte re suspenders which was intentional on my part and 'good laugh was about your witty rejoiner which I did get,so absolutely no offence or misinterpretation taken.
I then moved to serious mode and gave a brief note of my dissatisfaction at how unrevered a band like Talking heads are compared to Stevie ray vaughan.mississipi j hurt etc are on this forum. But thats just a wierd DByrne fan sounding off and sulking about the fact he is not allowed to buy new speakers and also nobody likes his favourite band.
cybot

Post by cybot »

tony wrote:Hi Dermot Eh I think a lot of cross lines here. 'Had a good laugh at that. unfortunately I think you are spot on' That bit relates to your riposte re suspenders which was intentional on my part and 'good laugh was about your witty rejoiner which I did get,so absolutely no offence or misinterpretation taken.
I then moved to serious mode and gave a brief note of my dissatisfaction at how unrevered a band like Talking heads are compared to Stevie ray vaughan.mississipi j hurt etc are on this forum. But thats just a wierd DByrne fan sounding off and sulking about the fact he is not allowed to buy new speakers and also nobody likes his favourite band.
As JAW said earlier - 'Another Senior moment?!?!?!' Anyway glad to hear you weren't offended and don't forget to tell us all about the past exploits of David Byrne et al including his latest collaboration with a certain Slim Shady :-)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Actually I saw a review somewhere of David Byrne/Slim shady collaboration as you say, and it was well rated. Might be worth having a go at.

I just never "got" talking heads or David Byrne, but then maybe I never gave them enough of a chance. You know how it is when an act just kinda passes you by... you've heard of it, you've heard others rave about it, but you never actually got it yourself.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

I dunno Fran if you were going to dip your toes in Dbyrne or Talking Heads I wouldnt start with 'Here Lies Love'
Even I am struggling to make that purchase. Download freebie from amazon of D Byrne/B Eno album Track from 2009 thats a good start

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-That-H ... 944&sr=1-1

I think the only way is to get 1 THead Album and if that manages to move your mind the world is your oyster.
Any of the first 4 will do.