Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

JAW wrote: Image

(Courtesy of Fergus. Thanks!!!!)
I hope that you enjoy it Johnny....nice to meet up with you again today!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:Lined these up for tonight:-

Nice selection there Johnny! I always loved that Saucerful of Secrets album despite the fact that Sid is only heard properly at the very end! Have you played the More soundtrack yet? I was flabbergasted when I heard it by chance one day as I always thought it was one to avoid! David and Richard Wright in particular give stellar performances.
If you like the early Floyd then you should definitely check out the album the Tonight Let's Make Love in London or is it the other way around? On this soundtrack the Floyd contribute two long tracks and in glorious mono and it's their very first session too! One of them is Interstellar Overdrive which walks all over the released version on the first album. The second one goes by the unfortunate title of Nick's Boogie and is anything but! The early experimental Floyd at the very top of their game :)

Finally what's your opinion on the Mellow Candle album? I have a gorgeous gatefold Lp edition and to tell the truth I haven't listened to it properly yet :(

The other album looks interesting, is it any good :-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:The other album looks interesting, is it any good :-)
LOL!

Some rubbish from one of those new fangled bands with no future no doubt!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
JAW

Post by JAW »

fergus wrote:
LOL!

You're right there Fergus, I wonder how they ever passed the audition :-)
JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:
JAW wrote:Lined these up for tonight:-

Nice selection there Johnny! I always loved that Saucerful of Secrets album despite the fact that Sid is only heard properly at the very end! Have you played the More soundtrack yet? I was flabbergasted when I heard it by chance one day as I always thought it was one to avoid! David and Richard Wright in particular give stellar performances.
If you like the early Floyd then you should definitely check out the album the Tonight Let's Make Love in London or is it the other way around? On this soundtrack the Floyd contribute two long tracks and in glorious mono and it's their very first session too! One of them is Interstellar Overdrive which walks all over the released version on the first album. The second one goes by the unfortunate title of Nick's Boogie and is anything but! The early experimental Floyd at the very top of their game :)

Finally what's your opinion on the Mellow Candle album? I have a gorgeous gatefold Lp edition and to tell the truth I haven't listened to it properly yet :(

A few questions there Dermot! I've never heard Tonight Let's All Make Love in London but I'll Youtube it and see what happens. In fairness, I think the very early stuff was patchy and the longer tracks (Interstellar Overdrive, A Saucerful of Secrets) were experimental and that the band didn't have a clear idea of exactly where they were going with them. Syd's whimsical stuff is what appeals to me, he touches a vein of very English eccentricity which I have a great affection for.
More is a surprise in that it doesn't sound like a soundtrack album and the tracks are complete. Nick has a good old bash on Up the Khyber and Richard Wright's jazz leanings come through. It's a band hitting their stride and coming up with some great music.
I have a connection (tenuous as it is) with Swaddling Songs. My brother in law's brother was the guitarist in Mellow Candle, so that bought me some street cred as a kid (until people heard it and found out it wasn't rocky enough)! But it bears repeated listenings and has an air of innocence and adult awakening about it. It could have done a lot better commercially if there had been a campaign behind it, but appararently they had to record it twice and Deram weren't happy about that and pulled the plug on it. It's one of those albums that has a cult following and before it was released on CD by See for Miles vinyl copies were changing hands for good prices.
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
LOL!

LOL! Well I never I'd see the day......:)
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:
fergus wrote:
LOL!

You're right there Fergus, I wonder how they ever passed the audition :-)
LOL :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:
cybot wrote:

A few questions there Dermot! I've never heard Tonight Let's All Make Love in London but I'll Youtube it and see what happens. In fairness, I think the very early stuff was patchy and the longer tracks (Interstellar Overdrive, A Saucerful of Secrets) were experimental and that the band didn't have a clear idea of exactly where they were going with them. Syd's whimsical stuff is what appeals to me, he touches a vein of very English eccentricity which I have a great affection for.
More is a surprise in that it doesn't sound like a soundtrack album and the tracks are complete. Nick has a good old bash on Up the Khyber and Richard Wright's jazz leanings come through. It's a band hitting their stride and coming up with some great music.
I have a connection (tenuous as it is) with Swaddling Songs. My brother in law's brother was the guitarist in Mellow Candle, so that bought me some street cred as a kid (until people heard it and found out it wasn't rocky enough)! But it bears repeated listenings and has an air of innocence and adult awakening about it. It could have done a lot better commercially if there had been a campaign behind it, but appararently they had to record it twice and Deram weren't happy about that and pulled the plug on it. It's one of those albums that has a cult following and before it was released on CD by See for Miles vinyl copies were changing hands for good prices.
Thanks for taking the time. I take it from your answer you're not as adventurous as me! I love experimental 'jams', always did! As long as it sounds completely different to the original, I'm happy; but very few bands could do that, including the Floyd. Still the only way to hear these long first sessions is on a good hi fi system. The mono mix is gigantic, making them sound better than they actually were.....but maybe they were that good, I don't know. Anyway Syd's guitar sound/scrapings
is to die for and when he starts using the lighter as a slide AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

You talked about Syd' whimsical bent. Have you checked out another, gentler, English eccentric, Anthony Phillips solo stuff?

That's a nice connection on the Mellow Candle Lp. Will you autograph my vinyl copy next time we meet :) Bring his sister Alison with you too :-) SWOOOOOON!

Heaven Heath (Alison Williams)

And on my stone where the flowers lie.
Sleep the growing years of my dusty day.
Gone the time of a heathen child to the
Godly grounds to play.
Weep the women on a watery leaf
caught in browning robe all on my silent breath,
I come to rise upon the Heaven Heath
with a timeless child to play.
JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:
JAW wrote:
cybot wrote:

Thanks for taking the time. I take it from your answer you're not as adventurous as me! I love experimental 'jams', always did! As long as it sounds completely different to the original, I'm happy; but very few bands could do that, including the Floyd. Still the only way to hear these long first sessions is on a good hi fi system. The mono mix is gigantic, making them sound better than they actually were.....but maybe they were that good, I don't know. Anyway Syd's guitar sound/scrapings

You talked about Syd' whimsical bent. Have you checked out another, gentler, English eccentric, Anthony Phillips solo stuff?

That's a nice connection on the Mellow Candle Lp. Will you autograph my vinyl copy next time we meet :) Bring his sister Alison with you too :-) SWOOOOOON!

Godly grounds to play.
Sorry to disappoint you, Dermot, but they were married then, (note important use of past tense!). Here's a couple of links to what they're at now......

http://www.5sm.co.za/world_shanty.htm

http://www.alisonodonnell.com/
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:
cybot wrote:

Godly grounds to play.
Sorry to disappoint you, Dermot, but they were married then, (note important use of past tense!). Here's a couple of links to what they're at now......

http://www.5sm.co.za/world_shanty.htm

http://www.alisonodonnell.com/
Aw, that is disappointing :( Thanks a million for the links too...... Looking at Alison, she hasn't aged well, has she :(

Alison is second from the left....