A turntable, finally?

Diapason

Re: A turntable, finally?

Post by Diapason »

Bought new in last few months, so I assume recent reissue.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:40 pm
Diapason wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Any other suggestions while I'm here? 300 euro ish budget.
Probably limited to what "the Lads" have but .....

Denon 103DL is lovely - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Ortofon Quintet
Goldring 1006
Interesting, ta! Don't think my amp can cope with low output MC, which might be one blot.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

I can second Ivor's recommendation on Denon DL-103, brilliant cart for the money.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I just checked and the Denon DL103 is a perfect match for your Rega RB330. The only downside is the output is quite low (0.25V) for a moving coil and of course you would have to have moving coil inputs on your amplifier. Something around 0.4V is desirable!

I can highly recommend Denon as well, as I had a Denon DL304 (discontinued) moving coil and it was excellent!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yeah, thats off to the side a bit alright but it might not have much effect on sonics while playing.

When you say it gets worse as you move towards the centre, to me that is a dead giveaway that the alignment is off. When travel is possible you could bring it here and I can align it for you. You might get someone closer maybe that would be easier.

Unless you go for a phonostage that can take low output MC then you'll need either high output MC or else MM. There's usually a big temptation to push the cantilever to straighten it. That usually ends in disaster.
Do or do not, there is no try
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I wonder if there is too much antiskate pulling it towards the centre?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Whatever you do next think very carefully and absolutely no rushing into it. A MM is the way to go for now for obvious reasons. Which one is entirely up to you. The new Goldring E series and Audio Technica VM's are garnering good reviews. Read the reviews from customers too. Research, research, research.....Stay away from MC's for now until you get to Level 5 ;) Another desirable would be, ahem, the High Output lower priced Hana EH at around what you're willing to spend...Good luck!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fran wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:29 pm Yeah, thats off to the side a bit alright but it might not have much effect on sonics while playing.

When you say it gets worse as you move towards the centre, to me that is a dead giveaway that the alignment is off. When travel is possible you could bring it here and I can align it for you. You might get someone closer maybe that would be easier.

Unless you go for a phonostage that can take low output MC then you'll need either high output MC or else MM. There's usually a big temptation to push the cantilever to straighten it. That usually ends in disaster.
Thank you very much for the offer, Fran. If I'm ever allowed go to Kildare again I may indeed take you up on it, not least because a second opinion would be great.

Meanwhile, let's say that, eh, you got a little bit exasperated at one point and, oh, were indeed tempted to push on the cantilever a little bit and, ummm, really should know better but curiosity killed the cat and all that, and, you know, well, it's like this...

Maybe I'll just take the opportunity to upgrade the cart anyway!

Thanks all for the suggestions, frantically reading reviews now. (Actually, in the course of this research, I've found more than a few people complaining about the Elys cartridge and bad tracking problems. So, you know, maybe it's not ALL down to me...)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:31 am

Meanwhile, let's say that, eh, you got a little bit exasperated at one point and, oh, were indeed tempted to push on the cantilever a little bit and, ummm, really should know better but curiosity killed the cat and all that, and, you know, well, it's like this...

.....So, you know, maybe it's not ALL down to me...)
It's not all down to you. Those moments are quite common and understandable.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Don't just buy a cartridge on the strength of a good review. The effective mass of a tonearm and the compliance of a cartridge have to be matched. Low mass arm - high compliance cartridge and high mass arm - low compliance cartridge, is the rule of thumb.