System Gallery

DavidMc

Re: System Gallery

Post by DavidMc »

Fran that looks great, has the missus noticed yet :-) What changes to the sounds you noticing?
The whole place is a complete mess. Can't find anything. Right now I'm eating scrambled eggs, with a comb, from a shoe!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Great stuff Fran....be careful that the kids don't knock them over while running around!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
barry robin

Post by barry robin »

jazis frickin christ on a crutch!!!!! how the hell did you do that so quickly? nice clean job there...wow!

i like the version you've done; it looks like you've made a rigid mount for the speakers and let the adjustment hang out the back like a painting easel-which is a rather elegant solution, if i may say so.

just showed the picture to paula-she loved it too. she even called it "adorable". not something one normally hears about stacked quads-and certainly not from a wife!

i know you want to try using your pass labs amp, but from what i've read, i'd advise against it, as the 8ohm solid state doesn't mesh well with the wild impedence swings of the electrostatics. the smart money is on valves with a 16 ohm tap...the curcuit of your little 17 watt EL84 amp is exactly what you need; i'd suggest simply getting a second one. and the wimpy EL84's will produce a nice, liquid midrange more than the standard EL34's.

-b
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

Wow Fran - no messing about! Nice - waiting to hear your impressions of the sound.

Richard
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Brilliant Fran.
Great to see them like that. Enjoy !
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Thanks lads,

I'm going to open up a new thread later on when I get home and put up build pics. The stands were very quick to make - its just 3x2 and 2 bits of 5 x 1 as well. I cladded the front with some clear pine I had here - but they'd go without that.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

barry robin wrote:she even called it "adorable".
Good Lord. Get her to sign something quick. Or buy a Lotto ticket. For God's sake do SOMETHING! :-)

Great work Fran, I'm looking forward to hearing them in action!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Funny thing, my missus gave me hand when I was fixing them in place... her comment:

"these are going to look really cool"

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Funny thing, my missus gave me hand when I was fixing them in place... her comment:

Fran
Just seeing this now....and your missus is right, they really do look 'cool' Well done, and happy listening to you both :-)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:Funny thing, my missus gave me hand when I was fixing them in place... her comment:

Fran
She's a keeper alright.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable