Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by nige2000 »

yea thats the one ive used before

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3750&start=10

this yellow one is the one to use..... because the system clock is at either 22/24.xxx mhz audio freq

i also tried a simpler blue board without the akm chip clocked at 8mhz it was 'both better and worse' than the one with the akm chip
which suggests the complication of the additional akm chip is a bottleneck and the one been clocked at 8mhz without the akm chip isn't optimal either
although both still sounded great, the yellow one is the one to jump up and down about
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 pm
Now the question is - are the two audio clocks used by the ARM & the 3rd clock used by the AK4118 or is it the other way around (one system clock used by the ARM & the two audio clocks used by the AK4118)? I suspect from the physical placement on the board that it is the later - the two audio clocks are close to the AK4118 chip
if i remember correct the audio freq clk signal went into both the akm chip and the arm chip,
the akm chip purpose looked like spdif, i2s looked like a lesser priority
the 8mhz was arm system clk,
which aggrieved me coz the data sheet stated it could use frequencies in both audio bands
but our prayers have been answered with this yellow sd card
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, the yellow SD player ticks all the boxes
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

I bought one of those other boards way back when, but never used it.

At least it uses the same remote, so I have a working remote for my yellow board :)

I powered up my board, but I'm on travel this week, will see if I can make some progress when I get back home.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

well at least its more disposable and simpler than an sd trans, hopefully a few more of us will get them running soon ?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

john let us know when that china order is put in
try removing the 3.3v reg yet?
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:14 pm john let us know when that china order is put in
try removing the 3.3v reg yet?
China order is in - Wendy is waiting for delivery of some items - I told her to ship once she's ready to stop me adding additional items to the order - that Taobao marketplace is very tempting shopping mall :)

No, haven't tried removing Vreg yet
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Still waiting on my board, hopefully any day now!!
Got the PCBs for the reclockers and also received the reclocking chips.
Still waiting on the NDKs.

It is going to have to be good to beat my current PC and peripherals but if it does I will be suitably impressed :-)
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I powered up my board this morning - it appears to work anyway. The 2 cheap dacs I ordered arrived too so I have a bit of building to do now. First step is to build it stock and then work backwards.

No sign yet of the clocks or adaptor boards.
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I've been pretty impressed with this - and just using a cheap but decent I2S PCM5102a board from aliexpress as DAC too. Hardly an optimised implementation with too long I2S connection etc. Holds significant promise.
412018204111.jpg
412018204111.jpg (143.58 KiB) Viewed 915 times
412018204055.jpg
412018204055.jpg (163.97 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Do or do not, there is no try