Quadral Chromium Style 8

cybot

Re: Quadral Chromium Style 8

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:00 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:43 am Good to have you back! Yes I had a quick peek of the review in the shop. Unfortunately I had already gone over my funds and I missed out on buying the mag! Blame Sgt. Pepper :) First time that's happened in ages as I never miss an issue. It's the only mag I trust.

Anyway I was a tad taken back but, at the same time, I wasn't surprised. I don't know how to explain except to say I got a bit of that at Noel's demo. Naturally you've convinced me otherwise so I just put it down to moon phases, the room and the equipment used to demo them.

How are you getting on with them now? Have they improved? Is the bass tighter or more fulsome? Is the ribbon still a subtle magician? Should I home demo a pair :)
I actually haven't had a chance to listen to my system since the end of May, our son got married abroad and we had a lot on our plate. Just trying to recover (ha!) from the wedding (2-day event) and the trip. From next week on I intend to 'burn in' the speakers with plenty of music.

I stopped buying hifi magazines on a monthly basis years ago, now I just flick through the magazines in the shops and if there is enough content that I am interested in I will buy the magazine. The review of the Rubins was much 'shorter' than usual. In saying that I never 'depend' on magazine reviews when I am buying something. When I dropped into Cloney Audio for the first time in years I hadn't even heard of Quadral and it was just Noel's invite to come upstairs and have a listen to some 'new' speakers that it peaked my interest. I notice that my B&W CM7s have sold already, I hope they have gone to a good home!

I have always shied away from 'magic' speaker cables/interconnects but I have been reading a lot of good reviews on the Tellurium cables/interconnects. Pricey but I am curious. In saying that I don't like the modern reviews of speaker cables/interconnects because generally they are just opinions on them, not like years ago when reviewers would go into inductance/capacitance/resistance/leakage/Q-factor/damping factor. I have a great little booklet that was free with HiFi Choice years ago and it gave review comments along with measurements.

I feel there is a bit of 'snake oil' stuff going with Tellurium cables because nobody has measured them in a review, this is commonly mentioned...The rationale behind the Tellurium Q range is a belief that the preservation of the phase relationship in a musical signal is the most important element.

What say you?
You've certainly had your hands full! Roll on next week.

The mags have always been a part of my life and I enjoy reading them. You never know what you might find out! Still I take the reviews with a pinch of sea salt and laugh out load at the ridiculous scientific bullshit outlined to whet our appetite. Unfortunately we fall for it time and time again. I'll say nothing about the equally ridiculous money charged for esoteric hi fi components etc etc. I'm not saying they don't make a difference, some do, some don't and some just suck.

Anyway this neatly leads to a guy I've been reading about who makes his own cable after been fooled (and disappointed) time and time again. Just like me in fact. I was impressed with his down to earth views and I ordered one earlier today. I'm saying nothing more until I've actually heard it in my system. See link below: Scroll down a bit to read his witty views and other important stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-PHONO- ... 33cff20143

So to answer your question about the Tellurium cables : suck it and see. If you can't hear a difference just chuck them back. I know you, like me, won't be fooled ;)

Here's an older link to the above but this time with the 'lost' testimonials:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-AUDIO- ... 1201569705
cybot

Post by cybot »

Did you try out any cable yet?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:45 pm
So to answer your question about the Tellurium cables : suck it and see. If you can't hear a difference just chuck them back. I know you, like me, won't be fooled ;)
If I can throw in my tuppence worth.... a few years ago I was interested in the Tellurium speaker cables but the nearest seller at the time was Kronos AV in Dungannon. On the strength of reviews I went ahead and bought a pair, I thought they were actually pretty good value given the comparisons being made. Because I need 4 metres each side I can't get into cbales that are too expensive!

Anyway these replaced Nordost Blue Heaven so they had to be reasonably good... I found from day one they were in fact very good... nice detail and plenty of "air" around instruments. I've mentioned this story before because it's very VERY odd and David in Kronos had warned me... after about 4-5 weeks (if memory serves) the cables became very harsh, almost unlistenable, and then settled down again to be even more open than before. Yes I know there's no logic to that but I heard it - not confirmation bias either as I had completely forgotten David's warning at this stage.

We all have different ears and what works in one system won't shine in another but I found the Tellurium Q Black to be very good value and I've never considered an upgrade since.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:45 pm
If I can throw in my tuppence worth.... a few years ago I was interested in the Tellurium speaker cables but the nearest seller at the time was Kronos AV in Dungannon. On the strength of reviews I went ahead and bought a pair, I thought they were actually pretty good value given the comparisons being made. Because I need 4 metres each side I can't get into cbales that are too expensive!

Anyway these replaced Nordost Blue Heaven so they had to be reasonably good... I found from day one they were in fact very good... nice detail and plenty of "air" around instruments. I've mentioned this story before because it's very VERY odd and David in Kronos had warned me... after about 4-5 weeks (if memory serves) the cables became very harsh, almost unlistenable, and then settled down again to be even more open than before. Yes I know there's no logic to that but I heard it - not confirmation bias either as I had completely forgotten David's warning at this stage.

We all have different ears and what works in one system won't shine in another but I found the Tellurium Q Black to be very good value and I've never considered an upgrade since.
Yeah I remember your Tellurium tale Ivor. At the time I thought it was a weird happening. At the end of the day you can only believe what your ears tell you. That way you cannot possibly go wrong now can you ;)

Look at me, for example, this few weeks I've been obsessed with sibilance/benign harshness in my system. It wasn't bad at all but in my mind it was! Tried everything to no avail then I stumbled on yer man's home made cable above; read the testimonials and convinced myself that was the way to go to tip the balance towards warmth. Would you believe it, as soon as I ordered the buggers, my 'imaginary' problems disappeared into the ether! Gone, gone, gone! As I sit here typing this I just cannot find fault with any part of my system! Explain that? When the cables finally land I'll have even more fun convincing myself that they'll make a difference ;)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

The more music I play the more I am enjoying the Quadral Chromium Style 8 loudspeakers. Nothing seems to catch them out, they just disappear when I am listening and that has to be good.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Cyndale wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm The more music I play the more I am enjoying the Quadral Chromium Style 8 loudspeakers. Nothing seems to catch them out, they just disappear when I am listening and that has to be good.

I was considering getting some Tellurium speaker cable but the review in Hi-Fi Choice put me right off. It was praising them and not praising them at the same time. Felt the review was kind of half-hearted!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm The more music I play the more I am enjoying the Quadral Chromium Style 8 loudspeakers. Nothing seems to catch them out, they just disappear when I am listening and that has to be good.
Are you sure? Only joking ;) So glad they continue to delight.....What I'd give to have a pair of ribbon tweeters. Lucky sod!

Have you tried the sub yet?

BTW I still have a review of my Howard's in the house somewhere by a certain.......Martin Colloms :) Must dig it out.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 am BTW I still have a review of my Howard's in the house somewhere by a certain.......Martin Colloms :) Must dig it out.
Now that would be an interesting read!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 am Have you tried the sub yet?

No, I haven't, I wanted to be fully familiar with the Quadrals before I introduce it into the system! Maybe over the weekend!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Cyndale wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:30 am
cybot wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 am Have you tried the sub yet?
No, I haven't, I wanted to be fully familiar with the Quadrals before I introduce it into the system! Maybe over the weekend!