wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
frd1996

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by frd1996 »

Pink,

wtfplay-live kernel does not use full-RT patch. A few years back I was experimenting with BFS + RT setup. As far as I can remember the main issue was stability. I have to admit though that all three: kernel, BFS and RT patches evolved since then and I will be doing reevaluation quite soon. I am afraid that I will end up with a choice: either BFS or RT. Well, we will see about that.

Also please keep in mind that the strength of wtfplay is not coming from kernel configuration alone.
F
pink

Post by pink »

i was watching boot messages while booting wtf-live i don`t know where you sourced the kernel but there is ck-patch with BFS for sure in your kernel.

there is a link you might be interested:

http://ck-hack.blogspot.ie/2010/10/bfs- ... -time.html

regards
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Yes, The BFS is used.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I haven't spent enough time to listen yet, the weather got much better around here (finally), but what I heard so far, new version has significant SQ improvement. On top of that, I really enjoy convince of wtf, especially new feature, that last command can be called after reboot.
Great effort...thanks!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
tony

Post by tony »

Are you using it now George? Fryderck has made big leaps over the last few months, agree the history is very handy certainly saves the initial long typing for settings on the earlier versions. Great that you can edit/save your preferred options. Much less fiddly than the vinyl yokes I was messing with at the weekend:)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

After having been travelling recently I am finally getting time to sit back and enjoy listening to the latest release, an amazing step forward in sound and presentation.

Something I stumbled upon that at first I thought could not be the case but after several repeated tests I found I like wtfplay-dsd for WAV playback.
There probably is no difference in wtfplay and wtfplay-dsd for WAV files but to me I am definitely preferring the wtfplay-dsd option.

Would there be any difference between both?

Post by frd1996 »

I think it is the best to describe incremental changes:

wtfplay-pcm + dsf loading (dop and native) + dop playback = wtfplay

wtfplay + native dsd playback = wtfplay-dsd

I practice "native dsd playback" is a very small change. The player just checks if the audio device supports DSD natively and if it does then the player uses it.

I think that wtfplay-pcm will disappear from the future releases of the distribution. In fact wtfplay-dsd will become wtfplay as soon as I clarify one thing about native DSD support in Linux kernel. That is why I asked in the other thread about availability of Gustard X20U DAC.

F
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

I can't seem to find any information here or on DIYAudio about this, so: has anyone gotten WTFPlay to boot on a board with UEFI BIOS only? My USB stick won't show up on the my boot order menu. There is no Legacy BIOS option on my board, only a CSM (Compatibility Support Module), and enabling that does not seem to remedy the situation. I installed the core i7 ISO via WTFPlay's recommended utility, Win32DiskImager. I've also attempted to install the ISO to the stick with Rufus after formatting the stick, which gives more options for UEFI compatibility, and while that allows the stick to show up in the boot menu, it just will reboot back to the UEFI BIOS setup.
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

There is no UEFI boot support at the moment. I'm really sorry about that.
Feature request noted!
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

No problem, thanks for the consideration. UEFI is absolutely baffling for me coming from a non-UEFI "regular" BIOS board prior to this one. Insanely inflexible, and seemingly all for the sake of a better GUI. I rather don't blame any developer who isn't exactly leaping to support it in that sense.