What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Last night I had the good fortune to listen to the live broadcast on Lyric of the NSO performance of Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony from the NCH. It was thrilling.

So today I blew the dust off my Karajan/BPO recording and gave it a spin, I prefer the NSO reading:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:Last night I had the good fortune to listen to the live broadcast on Lyric of the NSO performance of Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony from the NCH. It was thrilling.

So today I blew the dust off my Karajan/BPO recording and gave it a spin, I prefer the NSO reading:

My copy has a lot of dust on it too so to speak. Its well over a year since I gave it a listen. It was among the first classical CD's that I bought if memory serves me.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

There are times when one needs to physically relax, to listen and concentrate on something really beautiful: Pollini's playing of Chopin's Poloainses does it for me, every time, it's music on a higher plain:

That is yet another one of Ciaran's many recommendations.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:Last night I had the good fortune to listen to the live broadcast on Lyric of the NSO performance of Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony from the NCH. It was thrilling.

My copy has a lot of dust on it too so to speak. Its well over a year since I gave it a listen. It was among the first classical CD's that I bought if memory serves me.
I'll have to get a cycle of Tchaikovsky symphonic recordings as that's all I've got.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:There are times when one needs to physically relax, to listen and concentrate on something really beautiful: Pollini's playing of Chopin's Poloainses does it for me, every time, it's music on a higher plain:

That is yet another one of Ciaran's many recommendations.
I've being eyeing up that one in Tower now for some time. Now you've made me want to go pick up it up tomorrow. :))))
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: I'll have to get a cycle of Tchaikovsky symphonic recordings as that's all I've got.
please believe me... you need look no further:

Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote:Welcome to the forum Jared!
thanks, Dave... ;-))
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote: I'll have to get a cycle of Tchaikovsky symphonic recordings as that's all I've got.

Agreed, it's a great set. I think Fergus has this one too. Avoid Bernsteins late cycle on DG. Way too laid back for this type of music.
fergus

Post by fergus »

A BIG HEARTY WELCOME to our new local forum, Jared. I am delighted to see you here....I sincerely hope that you enjoy it mate.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:

Yes, I certainly second that set.

Also of note are....

Symphonies 1-3 by Dorati on Mercury and....
Symphonies 4-6 by Mravinsky on DG....

....both are excellent sets.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra