What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

I like the sound of a consort of viols. On this CD the well played solo viol music is interspersed with songs sung by a soprano with a lovely, clear voice and an occasional track played on harpsichord and virginal. The sound is very good.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

The Grieg Piano Concerto....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

some lovely sacred cantatas from Buxtehude.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

sticking with the German theme and the same ensemble here too.

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:
DaveF wrote:Anyway I know shag all about the ins and outs of proper organ playing and interprative styles blah blah blah but I do really like this
The second part of this sentence is far more important than the first!
You're pretty quiet around here these days Simon. Not in music listening mode lately?
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 163 'Nur jedem das Seine' (Aki Yanagisawa/Akira Tachikawa/Makato Sakurada/Stephan Schreckenberger/Masaaki Suzuki, Bach Collegium Japan, BIS) below

Bartok - 'Concerto for Orchestra' (Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, DG)

Brahms - Clarinet Quintet (Werner Haas/Berlin Philharmonic Octet, Philips)

fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:You're pretty quiet around here these days Simon. Not in music listening mode lately?
Hopefully he is busy rehearsing for some recitals this autumn!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Brahms - Clarinet Quintet (Werner Haas/Berlin Philharmonic Octet, Philips)

I really must brush up on my Brahms chamber music listening!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Back to finish off listening to this set with Symphony no. 4, Finlandia and Karelia Suite....

The fourth symphony was another strong performance but was a bit too much on the “warm” side for me; I prefer the cold, bleak approach in Sibelius but it still comes recommended as these things are very subjective.
Finlandia was another strong performance but it lacked a certain drive even though it had a lot of drama in the performance.
The Karelia Suite was a lovely, lyrical affair in which the “warm” acoustic and treatment were very appropriate.