Quadral Chromium Style 8

Cyndale

Re: Quadral Chromium Style 8

Post by Cyndale »

Well with Gregg Allman passing I decided to listen to the Fillmore East boxset on the Quadrals. Unfortunately my opinion of the boxset hasnt changed, if anything the Quadrals show how anaemic it sounds compared to the original Pink label copy I have. Turning up the volume didnt help any, it is just too digitized for my liking.

I was in town today and an absolutely mint US copy of Roy Buchanan's Second Album, it is a 1978 issue, but at the price I just couldnt pass it up 7.99. Havent got round to listening to any jazz yet on the Quadrals. Will let you know when I do.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Cyndale wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 7:53 pm Well with Gregg Allman passing I decided to listen to the Fillmore East boxset on the Quadrals. Unfortunately my opinion of the boxset hasnt changed, if anything the Quadrals show how anaemic it sounds compared to the original Pink label copy I have. Turning up the volume didnt help any, it is just too digitized for my liking.

I was in town today and an absolutely mint US copy of Roy Buchanan's Second Album jumped out at me, it is a 1978 issue, but at the price I just couldnt pass it up 7.99. Havent got round to listening to any jazz yet on the Quadrals. Will let you know when I do.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 7:53 pm Well with Gregg Allman passing I decided to listen to the Fillmore East boxset on the Quadrals. Unfortunately my opinion of the boxset hasnt changed, if anything the Quadrals show how anaemic it sounds compared to the original Pink label copy I have. Turning up the volume didnt help any, it is just too digitized for my liking.

I was in town today and an absolutely mint US copy of Roy Buchanan's Second Album, it is a 1978 issue, but at the price I just couldnt pass it up 7.99. Havent got round to listening to any jazz yet on the Quadrals. Will let you know when I do.
Good on you! Hope it meets you expectations sound wise.

Interesting comments about the 'digitised' Fillmore Boxset. Did turning it up not bring the bass/fulllness back? Strange that it does on mine.....At least I can listen to it and enjoy it. Maybe the Howard's have a more forgiving nature?

The first track I played last night was from 'Live at Ludlow's Garage' 'Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town' and 'Stormy Monday' from the A&R Sessions. Absolutely stunning renditions!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:30 pm Interesting comments about the 'digitised' Fillmore Boxset. Did turning it up not bring the bass/fulllness back? Strange that it does on mine.....At least I can listen to it and enjoy it. Maybe the Howard's have a more forgiving nature?
Maybe having been familiar with the original Pink label for so long, it just hard to listen to any other pressing of it. For me the boxset lacks 'air' for want of a better word, the sound is closed in and it is just not as musical either. I just don't want to get up and play some 'air guitar' when I listen to it. From what I have read about the Castle Howard's, I don't think so. From what I have read over the years transmission line bass is as good as it gets.

Spent yesterday afternoon listening to a lot of my John Mellencamp collection, boy do his 80s LPs (US pressings) have serious kickass sound. Uh-huh!, Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee.

I can't imagine how good 'Pink Houses' would sound on your Howards, hope this link works, turn the volume and you will get an idea of how good it sounds, acoustic guitars/bass/drums, vocals have a 'real' presence about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfkpu6749w
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:51 pm
cybot wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:30 pm Interesting comments about the 'digitised' Fillmore Boxset. Did turning it up not bring the bass/fulllness back? Strange that it does on mine.....At least I can listen to it and enjoy it. Maybe the Howard's have a more forgiving nature?
Maybe having been familiar with the original Pink label for so long, it just hard to listen to any other pressing of it. For me the boxset lacks 'air' for want of a better word, the sound is closed in and it is just not as musical either. I just don't want to get up and play some 'air guitar' when I listen to it. From what I have read about the Castle Howard's, I don't think so. From what I have read over the years transmission line bass is as good as it gets.

Spent yesterday afternoon listening to a lot of my John Mellencamp collection, boy do his 80s LPs (US pressings) have serious kickass sound. Uh-huh!, Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee.

I can't imagine how good 'Pink Houses' would sound on your Howards, hope this link works, turn the volume and you will get an idea of how good it sounds, acoustic guitars/bass/drums, vocals have a 'real' presence about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfkpu6749w
Ah I've done it again! Will listen to the link later :)

That's probably it, namely, over familiarity with the Pink sound; Digital files transferred to vinyl doesn't really cut it, does it?

The bass on the Howard's is rather special alright. The metal dome tweeter does let them down occasionally but nothing major. Unless you're in a bad mood :)

Have been catching up with a another favourite band of mine Spirit. What an amazingly underrated band! Their first four Lps are to die for. Randy's fretwork is a joy to behold. Sadly he passsed away trying to save his son while out surfing. His body was never recovered. Then the same son took on the might of Zeppelin re: their plagiarism of Randy's song 'Taurus' for the into to 'Stairway......'.He lost the case.Unfairly in my opinion.....
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 11:03 pm

That's probably it, namely, over familiarity with the Pink sound; Digital files transferred to vinyl doesn't really cut it, does it?

The bass on the Howard's is rather special alright. The metal dome tweeter does let them down occasionally but nothing major. Unless you're in a bad mood :)

Have been catching up with a another favourite band of mine Spirit. What an amazingly underrated band! Their first four Lps are to die for. Randy's fretwork is a joy to behold. Sadly he passsed away trying to save his son while out surfing. His body was never recovered. Then the same son took on the might of Zeppelin re: their plagiarism of Randy's song 'Taurus' for the into to 'Stairway......'.He lost the case.Unfairly in my opinion.....
Strangely newly released LPs mastered from hi-res digital files don't bother me, but 40 year old LPs just sound better to me than 'remastered from original analog tapes' modern reissues. About 18 months I decided to stop buying reissues unless it is an LP I just never managed to get.

I have Spirit's first two albums... Spirit and The Band Plays Together and I love them both, followed Jo Jo Gunne (Jay Ferguson) after that. Now you have given me something else to try out on The Quadrals.

Anyway played the Roy Buchanan LP (Second Album) I bought yesterday and it is a stinker. The sound is just dreadful, thin and anaemic, practically no bass. I am surprised because it was mastered by Tom Coyne (who died about a month ago) at Frankfort/Wayne and his mastering is usually spot on. Maybe the source he was given was not up to scratch (no pun intended). I put on my UK original and it sounds amazing, just love the bass on those two tracks you mentioned. Will probably give it in to a charity shop. An awful shame because it is absolutely mint and quiet to boot.

While the bass was clean and tuneful on my B&W CM7s, it has taken on a new life of its own on the Quadrals, it has great authority without being 'bloated'. Really pleased with everything I have played to date.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:57 pm
cybot wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Strangely newly released LPs mastered from hi-res digital files don't bother me, but 40 year old LPs just sound better to me than 'remastered from original analog tapes' modern reissues. About 18 months I decided to stop buying reissues unless it is an LP I just never managed to get.

I have Spirit's first two albums... Spirit and The Band Plays Together and I love them both, followed Jo Jo Gunne (Jay Ferguson) after that. Now you have given me something else to try out on The Quadrals.

Anyway played the Roy Buchanan LP (Second Album) I bought yesterday and it is a stinker. The sound is just dreadful, thin and anaemic, practically no bass. I am surprised because it was mastered by Tom Coyne (who died about a month ago) at Frankfort/Wayne and his mastering is usually spot on. Maybe the source he was given was not up to scratch (no pun intended). I put on my UK original and it sounds amazing, just love the bass on those two tracks you mentioned. Will probably give it in to a charity shop. An awful shame because it is absolutely mint and quiet to boot.

While the bass was clean and tuneful on my B&W CM7s, it has taken on a new life of its own on the Quadrals, it has great authority without being 'bloated'. Really pleased with everything I have played to date.
Ah bad luck on the Roy Buchanan Lp. At least you now know that your other copy is the bees knees after all! I love when that happens because it leaves you with a huge grin on your face. All things are relative :)

So you have the Ist and third Spirit albums.....and a Jo Jo Gunne Lp. I've never, ever checked out Jay's work (am I missing out?) though I do have a Jo Jo Gunne 7" in the house somewhere. Brilliant it is too. I used to play it out the back at the home house along with Joe Walsh's 'Theme From Boat Weirdo's' and Jimi's 'Hear My Train A Comin'......Those were the days :)

I agree with you on the remastered stuff. If you can get the originals then they're usually the only option.

I had my own eureka moment earlier today and I've been grinning like a Cheshire Cat since. It's a long, long story that's been gestating for ages. I cannot believe it took me this length of time to figure it out! Anyway the occasional emphasised sibilance has been banished to kingdom come! Now I can turn the Croft's up without worrying at all, at all, at all. Vocals now sound as they should, full bodied and free of nasties. No point in explaining how I did it as it concerns that plastic yoke in my left ear ;) I basically looked at the setting I had on the 6K frequency band and reduced it from 65 dB down to 10dB. Drastic I know but I was able to bring in other parameters to compensate. Then I copied the program and readjusted it for the Jazz stuff so I could hear the detail. So I now have two music programs - one for rock and vocals and the other for everything else. Yippee!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 pm
I agree with you on the remastered stuff. If you can get the originals then they're usually the only option.

I had my own eureka moment earlier today and I've been grinning like a Cheshire Cat since. It's a long, long story that's been gestating for ages. I cannot believe it took me this length of time to figure it out! Anyway the occasional emphasised sibilance has been banished to kingdom come! Now I can turn the Croft's up without worrying at all, at all, at all. Vocals now sound as they should, full bodied and free of nasties. No point in explaining how I did it as it concerns that plastic yoke in my left ear ;) I basically looked at the setting I had on the 6K frequency band and reduced it from 65 dB down to 10dB. Drastic I know but I was able to bring in other parameters to compensate. Then I copied the program and readjusted it for the Jazz stuff so I could hear the detail. So I now have two music programs - one for rock and vocals and the other for everything else. Yippee!
Just back in action after a wedding, just wondering did you read the review of the Quadral Rubin loudspeakers in Hi-Fi World? I thought it was a very reserved review, wanting to praise it but just holding back!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:16 pm [quote

Just back in action after a wedding, just wondering did you read the review of the Quadral Rubin loudspeakers in Hi-Fi World? I thought it was a very reserved review, wanting to praise it but just holding back!
Good to have you back! Yes I had a quick peek of the review in the shop. Unfortunately I had already gone over my funds and I missed out on buying the mag! Blame Sgt. Pepper :) First time that's happened in ages as I never miss an issue. It's the only mag I trust.

Anyway I was a tad taken back but, at the same time, I wasn't surprised. I don't know how to explain except to say I got a bit of that at Noel's demo. Naturally you've convinced me otherwise so I just put it down to moon phases, the room and the equipment used to demo them.

How are you getting on with them now? Have they improved? Is the bass tighter or more fulsome? Is the ribbon still a subtle magician? Should I home demo a pair :)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:43 am Good to have you back! Yes I had a quick peek of the review in the shop. Unfortunately I had already gone over my funds and I missed out on buying the mag! Blame Sgt. Pepper :) First time that's happened in ages as I never miss an issue. It's the only mag I trust.

Anyway I was a tad taken back but, at the same time, I wasn't surprised. I don't know how to explain except to say I got a bit of that at Noel's demo. Naturally you've convinced me otherwise so I just put it down to moon phases, the room and the equipment used to demo them.

How are you getting on with them now? Have they improved? Is the bass tighter or more fulsome? Is the ribbon still a subtle magician? Should I home demo a pair :)
I actually haven't had a chance to listen to my system since the end of May, our son got married abroad and we had a lot on our plate. Just trying to recover (ha!) from the wedding (2-day event) and the trip. From next week on I intend to 'burn in' the speakers with plenty of music.

I stopped buying hifi magazines on a monthly basis years ago, now I just flick through the magazines in the shops and if there is enough content that I am interested in I will buy the magazine. The review of the Rubins was much 'shorter' than usual. In saying that I never 'depend' on magazine reviews when I am buying something. When I dropped into Cloney Audio for the first time in years I hadn't even heard of Quadral and it was just Noel's invite to come upstairs and have a listen to some 'new' speakers that it peaked my interest. I notice that my B&W CM7s have sold already, I hope they have gone to a good home!

I have always shied away from 'magic' speaker cables/interconnects but I have been reading a lot of good reviews on the Tellurium cables/interconnects. Pricey but I am curious. In saying that I don't like the modern reviews of speaker cables/interconnects because generally they are just opinions on them, not like years ago when reviewers would go into inductance/capacitance/resistance/leakage/Q-factor/damping factor. I have a great little booklet that was free with HiFi Choice years ago and it gave review comments along with measurements.

I feel there is a bit of 'snake oil' stuff going with Tellurium cables because nobody has measured them in a review, this is commonly mentioned...The rationale behind the Tellurium Q range is a belief that the preservation of the phase relationship in a musical signal is the most important element.

What say you?