Devialet 170

Adrian

Re: Devialet 170

Post by Adrian »

That's really interesting Dave... good to know you are getting the results. Make sure you give it a good test run, just to be sure.

Any ideas what you would go for when looking for a TT + phono stage? MC or MM? I think your last set up was a very good MM cartridge.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Adrian wrote:Any ideas what you would go for when looking for a TT + phono stage? MC or MM? I think your last set up was a very good MM cartridge.
Not sure yet. My dream TT would probably be a Palmer 2.5 or Roksan Xeres 20+ but those are big bucks and that's without an arm and cartridge. Phonostagewise maybe a Tom Evans or the Leben. The Leben one is very difficult to source according to Noel Cloney.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A Leben................ ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Now you're talking.............. now you're talkin................................. I believe they are MM only... the preamplifier RC 28 X or what ever has a built in MM stage.... or there is a separate MM unit............. I think around 2 K for the phono... and perhaps 5K for the pre amplifier.

Pre amplifier top............... phono stage only below...........

What a Beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
tony

Post by tony »

That is just the pair for you Adrian will nicely match your cs600.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I'm taking a three week home audition with a Devialet 170 very soon, one has just been ordered from the factory. I'm going to be trying a number of amps over the next few months and this is the first one to be auditioned.

My main concern is that the Devialet DAC will not complete with my Berkely Alpha II but I'm going to try both an AES connected Alpha USB and direct USB connection with the Devialet and see how it goes.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

You don't have to use the DAC part if you don't fancy it, of course, but I'd be interested to hear your views on the comparison.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Unless I am missing something I don't see anyway to use the Berkeley directly as a source. It doesn't have a digital out, just balanced analogs. The Devialet will digitize these analog inputs. Best I can do is to us my Alpha USB to s/pdif converter.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I tested the Devialet only as an Amp and still thought it was great!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2