My devices on Tour

Diapason

Re: My devices on Tour

Post by Diapason »

I still haven't bought my new laptop (inertia really) but as soon as I do I'll be onto you, John.

Quick question: have you considered making a "balanced" version, or would that just not make any sense?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

BTW, guys a direct USB connection (DUC) was auditioned against a $1,500 Locus Nucleus USB cable - a OCC copper wire with mono-crystal silver & gold plated contacts, cryogenically treated, ERS & other secret shielding & damped wire. Phew, I'm exhausted even typing all that out :)

Here's what the poster said: " Does it sound better than my Direct USB Connection (DUC) (see this post). Yes it does! (Josef will not be surprised). How much better? That’s more difficult to answer. " Full report here http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/ou ... 0-e/#p4141

Now just have to find a USB adapter with "OCC copper wire with mono-crystal silver & gold plated contacts, cryogenically treated, ERS & other secret shielding & damped" :) - a bit of nano-tubules & quantum tunnelling to help them thar electrons through & we're in business :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:I still haven't bought my new laptop (inertia really) but as soon as I do I'll be onto you, John.

Quick question: have you considered making a "balanced" version, or would that just not make any sense?
Sure, SY, I knew you were hovering in the background. Ah, balanced is always on my mind but is not something I have immediate plans for!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Hi John, Would you mind if I held onto it until the next body takes it or until you have mine made?

Busy at the moment copying all my cds onto a hard drive. It is not too bad really once one does not get too manic about it. I am just feeding the desktop every time I am at it.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote: Sure, SY, I knew you were hovering in the background. Ah, balanced is always on my mind but is not something I have immediate plans for!
I can imagine. The only reason I ask is that my amps DEFINITELY work better in balanced mode, but actually now that I think of it that'll really be a question for the preamp.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:Hi John, Would you mind if I held onto it until the next body takes it or until you have mine made?

Busy at the moment copying all my cds onto a hard drive. It is not too bad really once one does not get too manic about it. I am just feeding the desktop every time I am at it.
Sure, Tony, hold onto it for the moment.
Did you try any high-res material? Are you going to post your report of the device?
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks John,No I never got to here hires but when I get it back from Mick I will at that stage as I have transferred various hires bits onto the external hdd. I havent started writing anything yet except the mini review on hand over.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:Thanks John,No I never got to here hires but when I get it back from Mick I will at that stage as I have transferred various hires bits onto the external hdd. I havent started writing anything yet except the mini review on hand over.
Sorry, Tony, the review question was addressed to Mick - you have already done your mini-review for which I'm grateful.

BTW, I intend to have your DAC32 ready by the weekend!
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:
tony wrote:BTW, I intend to have your DAC32 ready by the weekend!
Thats great John. If I end up getting the dac back from Mick beforehand, I can drop it over to you when collecting mine or pass on to the next tester.
tony

Post by tony »

Got my Dac from John today. Mick and myself have decided to take the plunge.Both have two totally different systems. Mine SS, Mick is running quads and I cant remember the amps but both of us taken by the quality of this dac. Much easier second time round getting up and running.Downloaded young driver and up and running very quickly. Only time for a quick listen as work calls. Listening to a track by Caetano Veloso -Triste Bahia from Transa album. Divine. Have to buy Jplay later today. John has made some changes to the unit. You can now charge while playing and also use a usb connection from the pc or laptop connected to the power inlet on the dac to charge. I have gone for the usual maplin charger. John threw in the usb connectors so thanks for that. Nice way to do business really. Sit down for a coffee in sandymount and have a chat with the designer and manufacturer and them head off home. Dont get to do that too often when buying Hifi. Thanks again John pleasure dealing with you.