Opera on DVD & Blu Ray

Jared

Re: Opera on DVD & Blu Ray

Post by Jared »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Opera-G ... 122&sr=1-4

Well, I've just gone and splashed out on this huge tome for a bargain price, which I hope will help enlighten me. Maybe if I take the time to read through the synopsis of each opera before watching, I might stand half a chance...
Last edited by Jared on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

^^ Jared, my understanding is that LvB was basically uncomfortable with opera as a format hence his multiple revisions of Fidelio. It's little surprise that it was his only opera given it's difficult gestation and subsequent reception. I do like it though, but it doesn't have the easy charm of a Mozart, or the dramatic confidence of a Verdi. I wouldn't want to be without it.

Incidentally, I prefer the Klemperer recording

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:^^ Jared, my understanding is that LvB was basically uncomfortable with opera as a format hence his multiple revisions of Fidelio. It's little surprise that it was his only opera given it's difficult gestation and subsequent reception. I do like it though, but it doesn't have the easy charm of a Mozart, or the dramatic confidence of a Verdi. I wouldn't want to be without it.

I have also read somewhere that Beethoven was uncomfortable writing for the human voice.

The Klemperer is the only version that I have.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:^^ Jared, my understanding is that LvB was basically uncomfortable with opera as a format hence his multiple revisions of Fidelio. It's little surprise that it was his only opera given it's difficult gestation and subsequent reception. I do like it though, but it doesn't have the easy charm of a Mozart, or the dramatic confidence of a Verdi. I wouldn't want to be without it.

I have also read somewhere that Beethoven was uncomfortable writing for the human voice.

The Klemperer is the only version that I have.
For me, An die ferne Geliebte and Missa Solemnis are his only vocal 'masterpieces'

I think the fourth movement of the 9th Symphony is the weakest of the four too!
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ thank you for your thoughts, Gents... I'm not sure how much I would want an audio only version... watching the plot unfold visually seems to me to be more rewarding at this stage.
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:For me, An die ferne Geliebte and Missa Solemnis are his only vocal 'masterpieces'

I think the fourth movement of the 9th Symphony is the weakest of the four too!
his Mass in C and Christ on the Mount of Olives are both fine enough, but I don't think you'd call either 'masterpieces' either...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:... I'm not sure how much I would want an audio only version... watching the plot unfold visually seems to me to be more rewarding at this stage.
Interestingly, I am the complete opposite....trust me!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Interestingly, I am the complete opposite....trust me!!!
I trust you implicitly Fergus... ;-) Seriously, I used to watch quite a lot of Shakespeare in my younger days, so it's not an altogether alien concept, but I've never been able to engage myself musically with the operatic style. I don't know whether I'll ever be an opera lover like Pepe, no matter how hard I try, but it is something I'm going to have a go at overcoming.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I look at my fear of opera like I would look at my fear of falling of a very tall building....! Perfectly natural and something I should probably trust my instincts about!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Jared

Post by Jared »

jaybee wrote:I look at my fear of opera like I would look at my fear of falling of a very tall building....! Perfectly natural and something I should probably trust my instincts about!
my fear is something rather akin to yours, but I've deluded myself that by the time I pass the 23rd floor, I might have learnt how to sprout wings...