The Bargain Thread!

Jared

Re: The Bargain Thread!

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: Thanks Jared -- a great idea for a thread -- I have orderred it -- James
Yes, well done Jared and like James I've ordered a copy of it too, thanks.[/quote]

I'm really pleased Sean, and hope to hear your thoughts in due course... do you own any other versions of the Octet at present?
Jared

Post by Jared »

a little quality Vivaldi at bargain prices is always worth a consideration, I find:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ss_product
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:I'm really pleased Sean, and hope to hear your thoughts in due course... do you own any other versions of the Octet at present?
No I don't, in fact I don't have many recordings of chamber music and that is something that I want to rectify throughout the course of this year.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:No I don't, in fact I don't have many recordings of chamber music and that is something that I want to rectify throughout the course of this year.
a whole, fabulous world awaits for you to open up, Sean... I've been buying Chamber disks avidly over the past year, and overall, I'd say that I even prefer it as a medium, over Orchestral... I can get lost for hours in the rhythms created by Brahms, Schubertn and Beethoven in particular...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:No I don't, in fact I don't have many recordings of chamber music and that is something that I want to rectify throughout the course of this year.
a whole, fabulous world awaits for you to open up, Sean... I've been buying Chamber disks avidly over the past year, and overall, I'd say that I even prefer it as a medium, over Orchestral... I can get lost for hours in the rhythms created by Brahms, Schubertn and Beethoven in particular...
Funny, I only said the very same thing to Seán the other day!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: Funny, I only said the very same thing to Seán the other day!!
yes, just like Darren, when I started listening to CM, it was almost orchestral everything...

however with the excception of my recent, extensive Mahler traversal, and quick recap of the Beethoven symphonies, most of the new music listened to over the past 6-12 months has either been Chamber or Instrumental. I have the three Bruch Symphs in mind for imminent discovery, but little else Orchestral beckons for a while.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Yes Jared, it is a whole different sound world obviously....much more focused, intimate and intense and chalenging as a result. Not everybody's cup of tea however.
Jared

Post by Jared »

there are obviously some Bernarda Fink fans on this forum, so I noticed that Harmonia Mundi were selling this excellent disk of Schumann Lieder, rather cheaply:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schumann-Maria- ... 031&sr=1-2

I have order one for myself, and realise they must have several copies for sale...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Easily know that you were recently paid Jared....when does the food run out?!
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Easily know that you were recently paid Jared....when does the food run out?!
Fergus, I have a couple of cheap bids on ebay at the moment, and when they are done... that will have to be it. I have about 50 disks and boxsets on the shelf, and really will have to watch it for the next month... but then, who can resist a bargain, when a new, sealed, high quality offering falls into your lap for £2??