monoblocs and pre

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
gigitu

Re: monoblocs and pre

Post by gigitu »

thanks for the offer Ivor. Is it the more expensive the valve the better the sound ? Or is it maybe a bit more complex than that ? I dont have a lot of experience with valve amps etc.

thanks
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

To be honest - yes its more complex than that. Yes, some valves will suit better than others, but more than that, some valves are in general more desireable than others. As a result they are more expensive to buy.

Having said that, personally I have found only small differences with different brands of the same valves. And the 12AU7 (AKA ECC82) that is missing from the preamp is very common, are still being made new today and shouldn't cost more than about €15. Likely life is very long, 10,000 hours is commonly quoted, so in reality the cost is very low.

I might have one knocking about somewhere too. Musical instrument shops like music maker, x-music etc might have them too - they are used in guitar amps so are pretty common.

What you need is a lend of one to make satisfy yoruself that the amp is working OK....

Fran

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

yeah, Fran speaks the truth! Sometimes cheap tubes work better in a particular unit than the expensive ones and you just have to try them to see. Generally I've found more expensive or exotic (old well regarded ) tubes to sound better but it's not alway the case
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Vorious

Post by Vorious »

Pretty sure I have a spare one of these valves. PM me & I'll try to sort you out!
paulb

Post by paulb »

you are welcome to come over and have a listen and then make your mind up if you want them
gigitu

Post by gigitu »

I would like that , thanks . Am hoping to be in Dublin by the weekend, but cant be sure yet . Paddy's day might cause it to be called off.

thanks
gigitu

Post by gigitu »

I wont make it up this weekend paulb , sorry . It will be next weekend at the earliest. Cant be helped
gigitu

Post by gigitu »

Hi paul, how does this weekend sound to you ? Will be in Dublin Saturday and some of Sunday. Thanks
paulb

Post by paulb »

i'll be home on saturday from 1800 and all day sunday.
gigitu

Post by gigitu »

Hi paulb, Thats great . Have you had any luck with the missing valve? Are you in the city?
thanks

Gigitu