Why do musicians ignore high-end audio?

Fran
Site Admin

Re: Why do musicians ignore high-end audio?

Post by Fran »

Very interesting set of replies I think....
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Cyndale wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:09 am Maybe if they heard their own music on a good system, it would encourage them to call it a day!
I've had a few musicians in here who heard their music on my system "of the day" and they all remarked they heard detail and nuances they were not even aware of before. It didn't make them run out and buy a high end system (being musicians it wasn't an option!). These weren't famous musicians obviously, just Dylan, Cohen, Morrison. That's Mick Dylan, Elijah Cohen and Joe Morrison.

What's the difference between a musician and a 12" pizza? A 12" pizza can feed a family of four.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Claus

Post by Claus »

As an amateur musician this has always been a mystery to me.... But after a brief chat with my son we came to a conclusion of sorts...

I am in a band that is currently in the process of releasing an album. I am the only person in the band that has anything beyond a bluetooth speaker, so I am the only person really able to evaluate masters on a decent system.... The writer and producer only uses headphones and relies on me to write comments on mixes as they would sound on a stereo system... I am not sure what the reason is, but I’d say it has to do with financial priorities....

Also within the hobby itself there are many sub-hobbies: tweak focus, technology focus, music focus, media focus, vintage, diy, etc etc...All of which makes it a “hobby” as opposed to just appreciation/consumption...

If you work in TV/Film do you have a good TV/home cinema? I’d say, probably not....
If you work in IT do you have the newest phones/laptop/tablets? I know lots who don’t...
If you work as car mechanic do you drive/restore/tinker with the coolest car? I don’t know, but I would guess not...

So the “job” is something different to a hobby.... As an example, my studio/guitar cables are just regular good quality cables. My Hi-Fi cables are much more expensive...🤔😉😂
cybot

Post by cybot »

Perfectly summed up :)