Remember when "meet your dealer" meant something else altogether? No... just me then

cybot

Re: Remember when "meet your dealer" meant something else altogether? No... just me then

Post by cybot »

My earliest memory comes from the late 70's. One Saturday my big brother offered to drive me up to Dublin to pick up some hi fi goodies unknown to my ever watchful Mother. First port of call was that place opposite the Halfpenny Bridge where after much haggling I traded in my Sansui's for a brand new pair of Kef Celeste's. Alvin Gold loved them so that was good enough for me. Well they must have been as I had them for nearly seven years! Then on up to Rathmines to visit Cloney Audio to pick up a Rega III. I never forgot the tables full of LP12's. My Rega III suddenly diminished in desirability by comparison. Anyway we paid and left, rather quickly I thought. Many weeks later I only found out that my Del Boy brother, who handed over the money, gave him more than a few pounds less than he asked for! Ah shit! In my pathetic attempt to make up I duly bought the much coveted Linn only a few months later. The incident was never mentioned ever again. So when we eventually arrived home and the coast was clear we humped the gear in through the back door and into my tiny music room. She never suspected a thing ha ha!
Last edited by cybot on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyndale

Re: Remember when "meet your dealer" meant something else altogether? No... just me then

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:48 am My earliest memory comes from the late 70's. One Saturday my big brother offered to drive me up to Dublin to pick up some hi fi goodies unknown to my ever watchful Mother. First port of call was that place opposite the Halfpenny Bridge where after much haggling I traded in my Sansui's for a brand new pair of Kef Celeste's. Alvin Gold loved them so that was good enough for me. Well they must have been as I had them for nearly seven years! Then on up to Rathmines to visit Cloney Audio to pick up a Rega lll. I never forgot the tables full of LP12's. My Rega lll suddenly diminished in desirability by comparison. Anyway we paid and left, rather quickly I thought. Many weeks later I only found out that my Del Boy brother, who handed over the money, gave him more than a few pounds less than he asked for! Ah shit! In my pathetic attempt to make up I duly bought the much coveted Linn only a few months later. The incident was never mentioned ever again. So when we eventually arrived home and the coast was clear we humped the gear in through the back door and into my tiny music room. She never suspected a thing ha ha!
Would I be right in saying that place across from the Halfpenny Bridge was a place called Lafayettes, or am I imagining it?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:42 am
cybot wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:48 am My earliest memory comes from the late 70's. One Saturday my big brother offered to drive me up to Dublin to pick up some hi fi goodies unknown to my ever watchful Mother. First port of call was that place opposite the Halfpenny Bridge where after much haggling I traded in my Sansui's for a brand new pair of Kef Celeste's. Alvin Gold loved them so that was good enough for me. Well they must have been as I had them for nearly seven years! Then on up to Rathmines to visit Cloney Audio to pick up a Rega III. I never forgot the tables full of LP12's. My Rega III suddenly diminished in desirability by comparison. Anyway we paid and left, rather quickly I thought. Many weeks later I only found out that my Del Boy brother, who handed over the money, gave him more than a few pounds less than he asked for! Ah shit! In my pathetic attempt to make up I duly bought the much coveted Linn only a few months later. The incident was never mentioned ever again. So when we eventually arrived home and the coast was clear we humped the gear in through the back door and into my tiny music room. She never suspected a thing ha ha!
Would I be right in saying that place across from the Halfpenny Bridge was a place called Lafayettes, or am I imagining it?
You could be right! Though I think there were two Lafayettes. Of course, I could be imagining that too....
Last edited by cybot on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'm pretty certain that was Lafayette hifi just beside what was the Virgin megastore. While we're on the subject there was also a place called Live Wires of Grafton street where I bought my first real hifi... mission speakers, denon amp, kenwood record deck and aiwa tape deck.
Do or do not, there is no try
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I bought a lovely pair of Kef Concord loudspeakers in Studio One, O'Connell Street, anybody remember that shop?

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:17 pm I bought a lovely pair of Kef Concord loudspeakers in Studio One, O'Connell Street, anybody remember that shop?
I remember it well. It was always a bit chaotic but I liked that! Some serious gear upstairs.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:14 am I'm pretty certain that was Lafayette hifi just beside what was the Virgin megastore. While we're on the subject there was also a place called Live Wires of Grafton street where I bought my first real hifi... mission speakers, denon amp, kenwood record deck and aiwa tape deck.
Lafayette was near the Ha-penny bridge, they sold a lot of Awai stuff that had the feel of something that was imported from northern Ireland under cover of darkness! Virgin was the other end of Aston Quay, just down from O'Connell Bridge in teh old McBirney department store building. It's now a Supervalu with Gym upstairs. Still has a the lovely McBirney & Co logo over the main entrance. HiFi Corner opened near the Virgin site for a while.

If I remember correctly LiveWires was in the Hibernian Way at the Dawson Street end. They sold a lot of Mission Speakers and Cyrus hifi! I remember hearing Audiolab amps there for the first time and while I didn't like the look (an opinion that changed) I was stunned by the sound.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

JAW wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 am The first thing I bought from Noel was some speaker cable, way back when he was in Rathmines.
Although I lived in Rathmines I was completely unaware of Noel's shop. I bought my first "real" Hifi from AudioTek beside the old Fire Station in Rathmines. It was run by Frank Murray who had worked part time in Laskey's in the same village. Franks real business was in fitting out clubs and pubs with JBL sound systems, he still does as far as I know.

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Ivor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:57 pm
JAW wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 am The first thing I bought from Noel was some speaker cable, way back when he was in Rathmines.
Although I lived in Rathmines I was completely unaware of Noel's shop. I bought my first "real" Hifi from AudioTek beside the old Fire Station in Rathmines. It was run by Frank Murray who had worked part time in Laskey's in the same village. Franks real business was in fitting out clubs and pubs with JBL sound systems, he still does as far as I know.
I remember AudioTek in Rathmines very well, bought a few bits and pieces there and you are right Layafette was near the halfpenny bridge. I used to love going over to Rathmines when Noel Cloney was there, great memories of the place.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:21 pm
I remember AudioTek in Rathmines very well, bought a few bits and pieces there ....
My own first system was
Sansui FRD25 turntable (later added a Rega Bias cart)
Cambridge P50 amp
Videoton Speakers.

It lasted years!