[SOLD] Quad esl 63's and repair kit

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
nige2000

Re: Quad esl 63's and repair kit

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 pm
Fran wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:01 pm I know I'm slow on this one, but are they sold yet?
Had expected you to pounce on these Fran. Was tempted myself as a learning project.
gotta say i was sitting on my hands not to jump on this one too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I know, when I first learned of them I wasn't in a place where I could even think about it!! but roll on a while and maybe I could use it as a learnign tool - I also have 4 treble panels in 57s to do!!
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 pm
gotta say i was sitting on my hands not to jump on this one too
Yes you and Pearse came to mind whilst I was typing but I thought it would have been a bit presumptuous to put it in writing that I would use it as a learning experience whilst looking over Pearse and Nigel's shoulder whilst Fran warmed up the soldering iron
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Frankie Lee

Post by Frankie Lee »

Just how much of a challenge would this be?
Check out our new iPad app: http://www.lowdownmtb.com
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

A fair one.

you would need to be able to make the frame to stretch the mylar to the right tension, then coat it to the right conductivity. Then assemble the panel assemblies (4 per speaker) and reassemble. Then the usual bits of snagging. There are lots of how tos on the web, and the kit is the top rated one for doing this. You'll need a bit of space to be able to set this up and come back to it over a few weeks (months) most likely. Would be great if you had means to measure speaker response curves etc. There is a diode ladder and simple ceramic caps in the power supply that should be done at the same time.

None of this is crazy difficult I'd say, but you'd want to read around a lot, set it up, work very methodically etc. Worst case scenario - you make a hames of it, use up the kit and have to buy reconditioned panels at STG£110 each.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

a few of us were in one thing audio a few years back,
we seen the process of refurb
yea its certainly not to be takin lightly, lots of research needed id imagine theres alot of refurb kits not turned into working speakers
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
ho66es

Post by ho66es »

these are still available, totally missed all the replies :(

i have a correctly sized piece of plate glass and wood to help in the repair process if that helps
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Go on so, I'll take these as a little christmas pressie for myself.....
ho66es

Post by ho66es »

Cool, will make arrangements then :)