MQA Anyone?

Diapason

Re: MQA Anyone?

Post by Diapason »

Just back from Cloney myself, and I found it quite a compelling demo. In absolute terms everything sounded impressive with all the usual "strange system, strange room" caveats. I was surprised that they were using analogue out from the Bluesound, no external DAC, etc. Anyway the few AB comparisons we heard were pretty convincing, and definitely enough to leave me with the feeling that I'd like to hear more.

All in all then, a very solid afternoon, made even more so when jkeny "insisted" I join him for a coffee. He paid an' all! Thanks John, and thanks to all the boys in Cloney Audio.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Excellent stuff lads.

I afraid I could not make it either yesterday or today. However I was in Cloneys during the week and I caught a glimpse of the box for 1300 euro.

I think it looks good and is approaching what I would consider (feature wise) to be a potential prospective buy.

For A / B testing one would have to insert one CD into the vault, have it copied onto the HD array. Then remove the CD and use it in a normal CD player.

One could then switch between inputs on the amplifier for sound comparison purposes. Worth a go IMO.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Went along this afternoon & met Diapson there
The MQA guy must have brushed up on his technique as he was able to A/B tracks

First off, I think the setup was sub-optimal - The Bluesound device (which was the MQA decoder) had an internal disk from which some of the songs were being played but others were being streamed from Tidal. I think some of the MQA files played were streamed but I don't know for sure. They were using the internal DAC of the Bluesound - ESS, maybe? They were using vol control on the Bluesound - digital vol control?

Anyway, I couldn't hear any obvious difference with the SUltans of Swing track but the Ella & Louis track (can't remember which one) stood out as very noticeably better in MQA (hope there weren't any sample rate differences between these tracks!)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:Just back from Cloney myself, and I found it quite a compelling demo. In absolute terms everything sounded impressive with all the usual "strange system, strange room" caveats. I was surprised that they were using analogue out from the Bluesound, no external DAC, etc. Anyway the few AB comparisons we heard were pretty convincing, and definitely enough to leave me with the feeling that I'd like to hear more.

All in all then, a very solid afternoon, made even more so when jkeny "insisted" I join him for a coffee. He paid an' all! Thanks John, and thanks to all the boys in Cloney Audio.
I know you don't often put your hand in your pocket when you visit Cloney's so I didn't want to shock you by having you pay for your own coffee :) :)

Yep, agreed - need to hear more to be fully convinced
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Yeah, what was the Ella and Louis track, it sounded great but I didn't get and A vs B of it.

Strange everyone present earlier thought the Sultans of Swing was unequivocal.

SJB
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

The Ella & Louis track "They can't take that away from me"
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

One thing of course is that the MQA tracks are actually high-res & I presume the non-MQA tracks were 16/44 so maybe a fairer comparison would have been high-res Vs MQA track?
www.Ciunas.biz
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote: I know you don't often put your hand in your pocket when you visit Cloney's so I didn't want to shock you by having you pay for your own coffee :) :)
Genuine LOL there, JK!!! :)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:One thing of course is that the MQA tracks are actually high-res & I presume the non-MQA tracks were 16/44 so maybe a fairer comparison would have been high-res Vs MQA track?
wonder why they do comparisons like that, has to be either of two things
either they don't know any better or is it deliberate to sway prospective customers?
i assume the vast majority of people wouldn't be aware of the potential variables in such a comparison test
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote:One thing of course is that the MQA tracks are actually high-res & I presume the non-MQA tracks were 16/44 so maybe a fairer comparison would have been high-res Vs MQA track?
wonder why they do comparisons like that, has to be either of two things
either they don't know any better or is it deliberate to sway prospective customers?
i assume the vast majority of people wouldn't be aware of the potential variables in such a comparison test
Yea, I know
I wonder if Cloney still has the Bluesound boxes & access to the Tidal MQA audio files?
As it would make much more sense to do the A/Bing properly, using a known DAC & preamp vol control along with tracks which are of the same samplerate.
www.Ciunas.biz