Hi Fi Components which you admire

Seán

Re: Hi Fi Components which you admire

Post by Seán »

I had the Yamaha TC800GL for several years, it is a lovely tape recorder.

Image Image
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

enjoying this tread - dave f the valve amp engineer from germany thomas mayer makes a 211 amplifier his site is called vinyl savour
cybot

Post by cybot »

Two classics from the past that I've always lusted after :)

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Interesting tape deck Sean... what year was that released?

Cybot... what's the name of those monoblocks... not Quad by any chance is it?

Remember these...

There was a time when Equaliser's were trendy... but when I visited a Hifi store the chap told me that a good amplifier does not require one..

My first serious Hi Fi amp... the Denon PMA 350SE

A good introductory amplifier... 50 watts.. clean simple lines and also had a volume remote control, but of course no phono stage fitted... that of course was "extra".
Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:
Cybot... what's the name of those monoblocks... not Quad by any chance is it?
They're Crimson amps Adrian.....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Just thinking how much I liked the design of my first ever "proper" amp.... a Cambridge P50. Very slim design for the 1970s - due to a toroidal mains transformer - one of the first designs to use them I believe. It even looked kinda retro for the 70s! At the time it was several levels above the ubiquitous NAD starter amps and personally I preferred them over Quad.

It slowly died and was donated to Fran's recycling centre having given sterling service in various roles. (its one good channel powered a passive sub for years!)

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:Just thinking how much I liked the design of my first ever "proper" amp.... a Cambridge P50. Very slim design for the 1970s - due to a toroidal mains transformer - one of the first designs to use them I believe. It even looked kinda retro for the 70s! At the time it was several levels above the ubiquitous NAD starter amps and personally I preferred them over Quad.

It slowly died and was donated to Fran's recycling centre having given sterling service in various roles. (its one good channel powered a passive sub for years!)

First time I've seen that one. It's a little slim beauty :)
Seán

Post by Seán »

I bought my first real hifi integrated amplifier, the A&R Cambridge A60, from Noel in 1977 and used my Amstrad amplifier in part exchange:

I also exchanged my Amstrad speakers for a pair of Tangent TM3s

and a Goldring TT for the Rega Planar 2.

I still remember how I felt when I first fired it up: it was love at first hearing and I was hooked on hifi.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:Two classics from the past that I've always lusted after :)

I was very taken by those Crimson amps back in the day. I think that the pre amp was powered by a PP3 battery and pre and power amps were available as kits.
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:
cybot wrote:Two classics from the past that I've always lusted after :)

I was very taken by those Crimson amps back in the day. I think that the pre amp was powered by a PP3 battery and pre and power amps were available as kits.
I think you're right Johnny. I've never seen one in the flesh though. The closest I got was when I had my head buried in a Hi Fi Answers rag and my mouth in a Big Mac! Ah them were da days :)