EMI RFI Paper

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: EMI RFI Paper

Post by tony »

Yes young Nigel that be an Ivor moment!

Farawaybeach Tom is that Miami Vice sure we can discuss it in Fans on Saturday?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Only have 2 EMI sheets now as the group stuff has all gone out to the 'country'
Last night had my 2 sheets on the top of the audio pc and the dac on on the sheets.The lid was off the zuma and the 5100s sheet sat on top of pico/ram etc. Though everything sounded a little harsh compared to what I had heard prior to the emi leaving.

Tonight stuck(placed) the sheets on top of the Linear supplies and batteries and seem to have the mellow tone back.
Not sure if it is just a better night or if the maplins/batteries are the main source of RFI/EMI so getting the best result from that area.
When I think about it the zuma is putting out so little power surely EMI/RFI is less of an issue there?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

There is a group buy on Jplay at the moment for this stuff. Somebody has found a US sight that sells at $28 per sheet.Not sure if they will send to Ireland(Mjock and Mike)
but they are considering it. Anybody interested maybe post on the site. Best price I have seen. Of course postage has to go on that.
tony

Post by tony »

Is there nobody interested in this stuff? The price per sheet is working out at
€20 odd! Ok postage has to go on that from the states but that is an incredible price.

EDIT: Never imagined I would make a comment like that about an A4 piece of paper!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

can you roll it up and smoke a joint with it? Probably has the same affect.

I'm only joking Im only joking
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:Is there nobody interested in this stuff? The price per sheet is working out at
€20 odd! Ok postage has to go on that from the states but that is an incredible price.

EDIT: Never imagined I would make a comment like that about an A4 piece of paper!
"That's the offer that you can't refuse"!

I still ca't believe that is not a mistake, or printing error! I paid mine, in average $65-70 per sheet from Mouser.....multiply by 30 sheets = I don't want to know!! :-(

DaveF, yes you can roll them up and smoke like a joint, but you can do that only once and you will not be able to share your findings! ;-)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

DaveF wrote:can you roll it up and smoke a joint with it? Probably has the same affect.

I'm only joking Im only joking
This is a super serious site Dave dealing with life changing tweaks to our audio systems. As Adam has pointed out it is a little like a roast joint of beef you can never get enough of this stuff. Sure it would only cost a couple hundred to cover that black plate you now use for hifi!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

it looks good in theory but are you going to order €1100 worth of paper (multiples of 50 only) , and worry about import duties and then try to sell them on?
if your waiting for a US group buy of fifty sheets on jplay fourm i think you'll be waiting a while.

if is going to happen id take a few of em but i just cant see it happening.

suppose no harm in trying
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

tony wrote: Sure it would only cost a couple hundred to cover that black plate you now use for hifi!
lol ouch! At least it looks good. :-)

On a serious note though I could see where EMI/RF shielding could be of use in an audio PC. We use such shielding on sensitive circuitry on our board designs at work. Its not always required but on power circuitry it does have an affect. Custom made shielding that cost tens of euros though. The prices above do seem quite extreme.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
tony

Post by tony »

DaveF wrote:
tony wrote: Sure it would only cost a couple hundred to cover that black plate you now use for hifi!
lol ouch! At least it looks good. :-)

On a serious note though I could see where EMI/RF shielding could be of use in an audio PC. We use such shielding on sensitive circuitry on our board designs at work. Its not always required but on power circuitry it does have an affect. Custom made shielding that cost tens of euros though. The prices above do seem quite extreme.

Now you are talking what is this custom made shielding? Is it providing the same level of supression that this bloody paper?
Totally agree the price is crazy but actually cheap by comparison to EU prices which work out at €54 a sheet!
Nobody has ever suggested there is a workable cheap alternative but I am all ears?

BTW this is meant to work for amps/cd players/power supplies your fuseboard etc etc.
Whether it is in my mind or not don't know would need abx testing to confirm but it seems to have a noticeable impact.
Sima66 swears by it and has wall papered his complete house in the stuff!

Edit: I know Nigel re US order I don't see it happening. Amazing either the americans as a nation are afraid to enter group buys or they all just buy 50 sheets when they take the plunge. You would think with 600m people they wouldn't be depending on some sheets from france,Ireland and lithuania!!