Devialet 170

tony

Re: Devialet 170

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:I haven't heard much about that Wadia yet. Any idea how much it costs?
A bit of a snip it would seem €7500. It is really gorgeous can't see how they are using any linear supplies so sound might be an issue!!!.
Ammended to ensure folks know it is just my sad sense of humour.
Last edited by tony on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Don't think the power supply is such an issue now with the latest swmp power supplies.
I know that the Classe pre/dac that I let go had swmp and was the bizz sound wise.
Probably down to technical advances like what ye are all experiencing with the PC audio that being developed in the 10,000 page thread elsewhere in this forum. :)
Friday Greetings to all.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Looks like the fight is on!!
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

PeterK wrote:Looks like the fight is on!!
???? Don't be daft.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Devialet is now 'resting in my system' for a few days. I'm using it purely as an amplifier at the moment, which isn't really the point in one way, but in another way if it can't do that all else is lost.

Initial impressions: it's bloody good!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:Devialet is now 'resting in my system' for a few days. I'm using it purely as an amplifier at the moment, which isn't really the point in one way, but in another way if it can't do that all else is lost.

Initial impressions: it's bloody good!
On sonic grounds alone, would you choose it over the Grafs if you had 10 secs to decide?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote:On sonic grounds alone, would you choose it over the Grafs if you had 10 secs to decide?
No.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:
DaveF wrote:On sonic grounds alone, would you choose it over the Grafs if you had 10 secs to decide?
No.
Detailed and comprehensive reply.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well I have more to say than that (as usual!) but after 30 minutes of listening last night I knew I wouldn't be changing. It's really a fine performer, "better" in many objective ways than the valves, more precise, more "linear" sounding, very controlled. But over time I've come to realise that I need a bit of valve colour and I'm happy to stray from neutrality to get that midrange magic. I've had enough amps through the room to know that said valves are probably adding various distortions that take away from the straight-line-with-gain ideal, but I also have had enough amps through the room to know that I no longer care about that.

The Devialet probably sounds exactly like I expected it to (which is a compliment because I expected really good things) and on first listening doesn't have any glaring flaws or annoyances. It's a beautiful piece of kit, beautifully made and it sounds great. Basically, I just miss the big glowing bottles and what they bring to the sound.
tony

Post by tony »

That is a relief I don't have to write the letter to santa.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.