A request for assistance, all advice gratefully received

Seán

Re: A request for assistance, all advice gratefully received

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:
Seán wrote:and here's another one I was thinking of getting, I think that Ciaran likes it:

http://www.amazon.fr/Bach-Concerts-plus ... pd_sim_m_2

I certainly do, I found it very lively and enjoyable. At the moment I'm trying not to buy further performances of things I own multiple performances of already. Instead I'm trying out new things, though temptation often gets the better of me.
I, too, want to add works that are new to me or a second copy of something that really interests me.
It's been a good while since I bought any new Mahler, but I don't know how long I can hold out!
Me too and it's not easy.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

I think at the rate that you are going Seán you might just need a tad more than €55 LOL!!!

Best of luck with the decision making process and it will be interesting to see what you eventually end up buying!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I think at the rate that you are going Seán you might just need a tad more than €55 LOL!!!

Best of luck with the decision making process and it will be interesting to see what you eventually end up buying!
Thanks Fergus, this was an attempt to make life easier for me. LOL I find Verdi difficult and I don't know Rossini at all. I am leaning towards opera though so the Abbado sets and/or the Baroque Opera set Jared recommended are at the forefront of my mind at the minute, ah sure it's great fun.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

have you come to any conclusions Sean, or are you still deliberating?
fergus

Post by fergus »

He has to sort through the Ponder Pouch....it is full LOL!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

All the recommendations are excellent, Strauss/Kempe, Shostakovich/Kondrashin, Mozart/Gardiner, and of course Verdi/Abbado he, he, so it´s really up to what Seán feels like listening these days.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:have you come to any conclusions Sean, or are you still deliberating?
Hi Jared, no solutions yet other than to say that all of the items on my first post are out, including Kempe's and Kondrashin's as I have enough symphonic works in my collection so I am gravitating towards operatic recordings (I do LOVE Abbado's work) but I haven't made my mind up yet. I will procrastinate a little longer.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Well, I have done the deed, so on Pepe's advice and because it's Claudio Abbado I have ordered :

Image and Image
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Hello Sean

A bit late in the day to give a view but I would say that the Kempe Strauss set and Kondrashin's Shostakovich are nigh on indispensible if you like those composers.
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Hello Sean

A bit late in the day to give a view but I would say that the Kempe Strauss set and Kondrashin's Shostakovich are nigh on indispensible if you like those composers.
Thanks Darren, I rarely listen to either of them to be honest. I heard excerpts from Kondrashin's Fifth this morning on BAL and I really liked what I heard.