I Have a spare Neil Young and Crazy Horse ticket...

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Claus

Re: I Have a spare Neil Young and Crazy Horse ticket...

Post by Claus »

Los Lobos were actually really good but too short. I would have loved them in a small venue with much more time...

I simply can't understand how people can be surprised at Neil's performance!!!??? I mean have these people SEEN any of his shows with the Horse before? I know he does go on a "wank" a bit more now than maybe ten or twenty years ago, but seriously, THAT IS THE CONCEPT!!! I loved it all. Great atmosphere between the band members as well! My mascara was running at one stage during Powderfinger, when Neil just seemed to look straight at me... And straight into my SOOOOOOUUUUUULLLL... ;)

I did suspect the volume would be low so I went up in front of Neil's amps..... I think that helped...... ;)
Thank you Neil!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote:Los Lobos were actually really good but too short. I would have loved them in a small venue with much more time...

I simply can't understand how people can be surprised at Neil's performance!!!??? I mean have these people SEEN any of his shows with the Horse before? I know he does go on a "wank" a bit more now than maybe ten or twenty years ago, but seriously, THAT IS THE CONCEPT!!! I loved it all. Great atmosphere between the band members as well! My mascara was running at one stage during Powderfinger, when Neil just seemed to look straight at me... And straight into my SOOOOOOUUUUUULLLL... ;)

I did suspect the volume would be low so I went up in front of Neil's amps..... I think that helped...... ;)
Thank you Neil!
Now that sounds more like my concert :) Maybe I missed out after all! Crikey I shoulda bought that bloody ticket!!!! Nothing as queer as folk, eh!!!!! Did he do Driftin' Back?
Claus

Post by Claus »

No Driftin' Back. But Walk Like A Giant was pretty haunting...
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Pity I didn't meet up with you guys - I was about 10 feet in front of the soundesk. What can I say - "challenging" at times & I suspect he cut short the encore, MonteZuma's Revenge because it started to rain in on the stage. Bit of a let down. alright - although he seemed to enjoy himself - much preferred his Malahide Castle gig
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

see, I knew the songs were going to be long, and the intro proved it, but in the opposite camp I thought he murdered powderfinger ( one of my favourite songs of all time) and the sound in the grandstand was shocking! I went to the loo and it actually sounded much better from the other side of the grandstand!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
JAW

Post by JAW »

I was in the Grandstand as well and agree about the sound. I am a huge Neil Young fan and when he opened with Love and Only Love and Powderfinger I thought we were in for a treat, but once the new stuff was trotted out it all fell apart for me. The extended feedback coda to "Giant" was, from where I was, just tedious. I'm pretty sure if I'd been tucked up under the stage I would have a different view, but in the Grandstand the music didn't have the volume or power to blow me away. IMHO he was far better with the Horse in Simmonscourt back at the end of the eighties and the Point in the late nineties.
Another gripe - why no big screens???
Claus

Post by Claus »

I think we can clearly blame The RDS as a venue. It just isn't suited if they are not allowed to play at a decent volume.... I know lots of people who simply won't go to concerts there and I can see why!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote:I think we can clearly blame The RDS as a venue. It just isn't suited if they are not allowed to play at a decent volume.... I know lots of people who simply won't go to concerts there and I can see why!
Another reason why I stayed at home :( If truth be told, I actually detest the place and it's total lack of atmosphere!
Last edited by cybot on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Nah, I was standing about 50 yards back from the stage for the whole concert even though I had grandstand ticket & the sound was fine - on mature reflection I thought the concert was shite, to be honest. He lost everybody with the feedback self-indulgence & it really never picked up from there. Even the stalwart fans in the PIT were booing!
I think he short changed the audience, big time!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I know we're probably the wrong people to be discussing sound quality at a concert....!!!

But I didnt have any issue with the volume per se, I thought it was plenty loud.... put it this way, while having dinner at home I was able to listen to the waterboys!

I found the sound incredibly screechy, and I think that's why it sounded better from behind the grandstand, which worked as a kind of graphic equalizer!

I got the impression from the folks around me, who nearly all had a different tour tshirt on, from the 70's onward, that they were furious, certainly after the above mentioned coda I'd say 40% of the people in the grandstand just upped sticks and went home....

ditto the big screen abscence, I know he's not U2, but tis not like he couldn't afford one screen!

When everyone cheered on his arrival, I couldn't tell him apart from a really skinny roadie....

watch and learn mr young

Daingean Uí Chúis!!

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....