Copland....?

markof

Re: Copland....?

Post by markof »

I don't think any amp alone can deliver the lush tone which you are looking for but the right one can reinforce that quality in a system which is already headed in that direction.

On the soapbox:
For me, I find it useful to think of the entire system as a single musical instrument ideally in which all the components, from recording to speakers, act in harmony to produce the tone you are looking for. Its the synergy of elements working together which influences the tone and consequently all the components including cables require careful consideration. Unfortunately, opportunities for auditioning equipment are getting less but many dealers offer 20 or 30 day return policies (Cloney's did this for me on my speakers as did John Kenny on the DAC and Frozen Banana on the amp).

My system details are in my sig. below. I found that in the context of my system the valve amp (Ariand) produces a smooth but dynamic/fast sound with an emphasis in the midrange. This contrasts with an old solid state amp (Arcam Alpha 10) which had more bass emphasis and a warmer tone - less neutral than the valves, possibly more lush but slower, less clear and with less separation overall. The Ariand is a little let down by it's pre-amp, but this can be bypassed easily to produce enhanced separation and a wider, better defined soundstage. Also, the Ariand is limited to two inputs, remote is optional and there is no phono in.
I have managed to reduce harshness through the use of the Amarrra software for playback and an Elija Audio USB cable between the mac and dac (the 5v power trace is removed in this cable reducing noise). The JKDAC32 is also noted for it's smoothness. My speakers, which are electrostatics, and which have no tweeters and no high frequency crossovers really help in achieving this sound - probably the prime component of the overall tone.
I also think that noise management is vital to the overall sound so I would keep the signal path as short as possible, manage mains noise, use battery powered components where possible (JKDAC) and isolate components from mechanical feedback - my speakers are positioned about 3m in front of the other components.

If you are ever down Cobh way, you are very welcome to have a listen.
Best of luck with the quest, Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

tony wrote:I got a second hand Prima luna Prologue from the uk recently. If you want to try it out let me know. It is a kt88 but can also run el34's,kt90's and 6550's. You can get them for under a €1k (700 upwards). Oh it is 40w and 35 using el34's.

thanks Tony, might just do that once the dust settles!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

markof wrote:
Best of luck with the quest, Mark.

Cheers Mark,

If course you're right, but this is a second component in a new playback system, so I can't really start judging synergy just yet!

Vinyl is either next, or second next if valves come up at a good price, then I'll be shifting all my CDs to computer based playback, and [*]wasting
sorry, spending all my money on records!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jaybee,
there's also a standing invitation to hear a pure valve system (amp & CD) in my gaff anytime that suits, anytime that fits with my odd working hours anyway.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

cheers Ivor,

I will take you up on that, I'm up to my gicker at the moment though... rain check?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jaybee wrote:cheers Ivor,

I will take you up on that, I'm up to my gicker at the moment though... rain check?
sure, anytime. (lovely image by the way)
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

I am all amped out but this looks nice. Guy is looking for £1600 and if the new asking price is correct £4800 it seems an ok price.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... -amplifier

GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I'd love to hear some of TdeP's work, bit rich for me at the moment though!