Tir Na Hifi Meet Up @ The Listening Suite

Ivor

Re: Tir Na Hifi Meet Up @ The Listening Suite

Post by Ivor »

Older face here... just coming on to add my thanks to The Listening Suite lads. Great evening of geeky comparisons and, as Fran says, very interesting banter between the hardware/software. Looking forward to the next one already!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yes, thanks from me too. I'm really sorry I'd to run so early, because what I'd heard suggested it was going to be a very interesting evening. Great to see everyone as usual, and looking forward to doing so with a bit more regularity.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

Many thanks to the lads for hosting this session. Very informative as stated earlier nice to meet new/old faces. Good demo on the differences experienced when moving up the ranges in dacs.
Meitner shined the dp1 seems very versatile and the headphone option will suit a lot of people.
The little mains conditioner can't remember its name strangely added something to the sound on the dp1 when there seemed no logical reason that it should which is hard to .

Look forward to more oh btw the avantgardes sounded quiet good as well if unfortunately only fed one bloddy john martyn track all night
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

tony wrote: Meitner shined
Raging I missed that.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
sebna

Post by sebna »

I also wanted to say big thank you to David and Jonathan for organizing the meet as I had great time chatting, testing equipment and listening to insight of how the industry works.

As I am new to the audio hobby, so far I was mostly reading about the impact of the different components on the final sound signature of the system but on the meet I was able to experience it first hand, thanks to all gathered. I must say the meet has opened my eyes, on for example, how big of the difference can solely the player make, not to mention the differences between the DACs and peripheral gear (the surprise of the night for me was the little USB conditioner).

It was a pleasure to listen to quality DACs and speakers present on the meet.

I am looking forward to another meet hopefully sooner then later.

And I think I need to start to look for some proper speakers in addition to my headphones...

Cheers,
sebastian
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
james

Post by james »

I also want to thank David and Jonathan for organising such an enjoyable evening .. also thanks to everyone who brought along equipment.

In case anyone is interested this is the music that was used

I have just ordered a copy to see what it sounds like on my system

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

As one of the newer faces I would like to add my thanks to Jonathan and David for a very enjoyable evening. It was great to hear so many DACs. The conversation and demos were very informative. Roll on the next meet.

Peter
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

A big thank you to David and Jonathan for all the effort and tolerance last night, there was a great gathering of views and opinion flying around and it was great to see everyone getting on so well across all the divides of this sometimes opinionated hobby....at the end of it I think all agred that bits is not always bits!!

Very impressed by the Eximus DP1, for the money it is an excellent first step to excellent DAC based playback.

The iFi iUSB power supply was also a standout item and my order went in last night, even if only a small difference is to be had with the Meitner it will be worth the cost as the law of diminishing returns has me by the nuts at the moment!

Look forward the the next installment with more music the next time.

Post by Diapason »

Sligolad wrote: Very impressed by the Eximus DP1, for the money it is an excellent first step to excellent DAC based playback.
Agreed, based on the little I heard. How much is it, does anyone know?
Sligolad wrote:The iFi iUSB power supply was also a standout item and my order went in last night
I was gobsmacked by the effect of taking that out of the system, and I'm not surprised to hear the order went in straightaway. No messin' around, eh?!
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Excellent evening & a big thanks to all, particularly David & Jonathan.
Enjoyed the format & the discussion between incessant John Martyn track (put him in the same bin with Shelby Lynn now).
I particularly enjoyed the information the guys brought to the discussions about the recording side of the chain. As the end-users in the playback chain we seldom get access to this info & I, for one, would like to hear more of this.

BTW, next time I promise to bring my own Jaffa Cakes & not eat all the TLS ones.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.