Ceol Speakers

Ivor

Re: Ceol Speakers

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:Doesn't Audio Tek still exist?

It does, it was just the retail end of the business that closed (sorry, I should have been clearer). They're still fitting out some of the biggest venues around.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Terry,
I remember Audiotek in Rathmines - I bought a Pioneer A400 amp there. I remember home auditioning a Cyrus amp at the time against the Pioneer - I got it from a small HiFi place across the road from DIT Cathal Brugha, just behind the church there - can't remember the name of it. There was another large HiFi place on O'Connell St. beside the Gresham. I probably would have bought the Cyrus but it smoked & stopped working which put me off a bit from buying another one :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
terrybites

Post by terrybites »

Hi John,

The place beside the Gresham was Peats and I remember another up off Cathal Brugha Street. Can't think of the name but I bought a pair of TDL Studio 1s off him. In fact, I traded them in at Cloney Audio just before Christmas. They are in lovely condition and are the original TDL (formerly IMF) transmission line, 2 way floor standers. A great buy for anyone looking for serious bass!

Looking forward to a bit of ciúnas!

T
JAW

Post by JAW »

Guys, I think the place beside the Gresham/Savoy was Studio One, not Peats. I was very impressed as a penniless student with a pair of Nightingale speakers there. They were huge things, very like the Leak 2075's below and way beyond anything I could afford.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yeah, Studio One sounds right. I remember going there to ogle some Rotel gear.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yeah, Studio One - it was a big place, lots of gear. I seem to remember that it didn't last too long.
Seeing as this is nostalgia time & mention of Ciunas (can't type a fada here) reminds me of days in Primary School when we were told "Ciunas agus Téigh a chodladh" (translation for non Irish speakers - "Silence & go asleep")
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote:Yeah, Studio One - it was a big place, lots of gear. I seem to remember that it didn't last too long.
Seeing as this is nostalgia time & mention of Ciunas (can't type a fada here) reminds me of days in Primary School when we were told "Ciunas agus Téigh a chodladh" (translation for non Irish speakers - "Silence & go asleep")
We used to get that in primary school too. To this day I'm still not sure whether I was meant to *actually* sleep or not.

(Holding <Alt Gr> and typing u will sort you right out: ú)
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:
jkeny wrote:Yeah, Studio One - it was a big place, lots of gear. I seem to remember that it didn't last too long.
We used to get that in primary school too. To this day I'm still not sure whether I was meant to *actually* sleep or not.
It was a pupil management system (that's not the pupils of the eyes that I'm talking about either) :)
(Holding <Alt Gr> and typing u will sort you right out: ú)
when I do that I just get the html tags for underline?
www.Ciunas.biz
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote:(that's not the pupils of the eyes that I'm talking about either) :)
LOL
when I do that I just get the html tags for underline?
That's mad, Ted. It's worked for everyone else I've ever told to do it. Just how special are you, John?!
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

That's mad, Ted. It's worked for everyone else I've ever told to do it. Just how special are you, John?![/quote]
I have a netbook so the alt keys at either side of the spacebar are just labelled "alt" - no "alt gr" as in normal keyboards - its probably a keyboard mapping thing - I had to chase the @ symbol around the keyboard to get it appearing under the right key with the right keyboard mapping. Yea, I wish I wasn't so "special" - it would save so much time - who said computers are time-savers? :)
www.Ciunas.biz