What camera should I buy?

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Fran
Site Admin

Re: What camera should I buy?

Post by Fran »

If you want I can let you sleep for an hour or 2 in peace?!?!
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm actually doing fine for sleep: I heartily endorse breast-feeding!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:I'm actually doing fine for sleep: I heartily endorse breast-feeding!
does it not hurt you?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Just got an email with this offer from pigsback, might be worth looking into

http://www.pigsback.com/Pages/3/587/323 ... heMegaDeal

Regards.

Andy
mick

Post by mick »

I would go for a dslr camera. Picture quality is a big plus. How quickly the camera focuses and how accurately it focuses are crucial. These are generally better on dslr cameras. Shutter lag ( the lenght of time taken from pressing the shutter release to the time the picture is taken ) is also important. Someone could move or blink during the lag. Dslr's are nearly instant. Compacts are slower.Most dslr's also have bigger sensors which help picture quality. Birminghams or Conns are two of the better camera shops. Depending on finances Birminghams have a mint used Canon EOS 1000D + EF-S 18-55 for 329euro which is a good starter dslr. Purchase a Cannon 50mm F1.8 (which is good for low light) for about 130 euros and you have a very nice set up for under 500 euros. If more funds are available they have a Canon EOS 600D Body for 729 euro plus the Cannon 50mm F1.8 and you have an excellent set up for under 900euro. Depending on your interest in photography after that you could purchase other lenses as the need arises.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Andy S wrote:Just got an email with this offer from pigsback, might be worth looking into

http://www.pigsback.com/Pages/3/587/323 ... heMegaDeal

Regards.

Andy
That's an insanely good deal.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks gentlemen,

I've been quite surprised by the range of responses I've received about this query both online and in real life. Surprisingly, my more "expert" friends (e.g. a film DP) seem to be suggesting that I should get something like Ciaran suggested, in fact the LX5 was the DP's suggestion of choice. My gut was to get a Canon 550D + EF-S 18-55 kit and the "nifty fifty" and start from there, since I've seen that combination produce excellent results. But I'm a bit taken aback by the weight of opinion behind the Panasonic LX5 and the Canon S95 for example. In short, I'm more confused than ever...!

Than pigsback come along and dangle a carrot of a different sort. Hmmm.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

mmm. See, Mick is right - generally the slr will give you a better picture, faster etc etc etc. But to get that good pic, you need to put a bit of work in (usually). So to really take advantage, you need to figure out and be able to work with aperture and shutter speed, ISO, focus points etc etc etc. If you intend leaving the camera on "auto" all the time, then you might as well buy the cheaper compact.... hence their moniker of "point and shoot".

So if you think you would enjoy the geekery and tweakery of a dslr, plus have no fear of learning a bit of lightroom/photoshop, then go for that. If you just want to pick it up and shoot without having to learn a new skill, go the compact route.

The 550d + lenses are an excellent combination BTW, and will serve you for years. Factor in a couple of SD cards (more for video), a second battery and a bag - all from ebay. Also, you can get the nifty fifty for under the ton if you look around. Calumet in belfast are good too, and do give Gunnes in wexford st a call, possibly the nicest people in dublin to deal with. Failing that, there is a seller in scotland on ebay who has a terrific reputation and fulfills all the normal warrnty stuff etc. I can't recall his username right now but I can find it. He is generally cheaper.

[rant mode]most camera shops in dublin have a severe lack of err, charm in their staff. Sometimes they're grand, and other times they treat you like a bit of shit on their shoe. I regret buying my 7d in berminghams becuase of the treatment on the day (got a good deal though), but another day I bought a filter in there and got great service. [/rant mode]

Fran
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Fran wrote:
[rant mode]most camera shops in dublin have a severe lack of err, charm in their staff. Sometimes they're grand, and other times they treat you like a bit of shit on their shoe. I regret buying my 7d in berminghams becuase of the treatment on the day (got a good deal though), but another day I bought a filter in there and got great service. [/rant mode]

Fran
Here Here! :-)

I'd agree with you completely on this. Had a similar experience myself. Never know what to expect from there.
Gunne Photography were great, cant recommend them highly enough. When I was looking for a SLR a few years ago the owner there thought me more about cameras in 15 mins than I ever read in a book.

Simon, if you are going for a good DSLR, its important to make sure that you are happy with how it feels in your hand. The grip, the weight distribution, how the viewfinder looks and works for you. I was going for a particular Canon model at the time but the Nikon just felt better in the hand even though specwise it was just a little below the Canon. As has been mentioned before, spend more of your cash on good lenses.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes, and I would say good 2ndhand lenses. The photography section of adverts.ie is good for stuff.....

I bought all my lenses second hand, all went very well in each case. Most of the people dealing there are sound and aren't dodgy.

Fran