Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

A review:

Evan Caminiti and Jon Porras are back with their third album and it's a belter. Opener Sundown sets the scene with sustained doom riffs and it becomes clear from the off that these guys mean business and we're in for an epic ride. 'Nights Shroud' has an enticing loner feel to it evoking images and feelings of being lost in a desolate arid landscape. The title expands the hallucinations further into a full on widescreen vision with dusty atmospherics akin to a combination of both black metal and shoegaze. For its entire ten minute duration its astonishingly captivating and like a micro album with in the album its self - What a trip! What I particularly like about Barn Owl's sound, and it certainly applies here, is that they take you deep into the black abyss to toil for a short while but then you always get the sunshine breaking through the black clouds. 'Cavern Hymn' is a breezy acoustic guitar track that provides a little light relief from the intensity. 'Flatlands' is probably the most devotional sounding number on here with glorious vocal drones that really activate the goosebumps. I'd say 'Ancestral Star' is probably their most accomplished vision to date and over time will reveal further hidden treasures buried within. If you've not checked these guys out then this is a fine place to start and if you like the whole Natural Snow Buildings axis or have a penchant for spooked Americana then I suggest giving this a whirl. Highly recommended and the LP comes with an MP3 download code to boot.

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

This is just fabulous. Thanks Paul for wising me up to it's brilliance :-)

mcq

Post by mcq »

cybot wrote:This is just fabulous. Thanks Paul for wising me up to it's brilliance :-)

So glad you enjoyed it, Dermot. Next step is Henry Cow.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

cybot wrote:Getting all nostalgic again....I have always found that his solo stuff sounded more like the real Genesis than Genesis themselves. The sleeve really says more about the music than I could ever attempt to describe.Gorgeous but tinted with a yearning for a happier and more innocent time......

Anthony Phillips - Private Parts and Pieces 1
It's been a while since I listened to Anthony Phillips but - once upon a time - I used to enjoy Wise After The Event, Geese And The Ghost and that first Private Parts and Pieces collection.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

Paul,

Nice to see you're still alive :-) Yeah, you're right, Dagmar and company are definitely next on the 'to find' list....would you believe,in all my years of buying second hand vinyl I have never once come across a Henry Cow Lp!?!?

Re: Anthony Phillips: the one thing that struck me while I was listening to the PPAP series was how old fashioned and positively ancient the music/sonics sounded! Almost like a long lost relic one usually finds in some dusty corner up in the attic :-) Still that is the wonder of music, I suppose.....and equally, the sheer wonder that I still have time for these ancient relics :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

This is my first ever listen to this Lp!! Believe it or not it's on blue (unofficial?) vinyl!? I would have loved to have seen the original gatefold version....

Derek

Post by Derek »

DaveF wrote:Image

Dave I see some of the very best of my collection is also in yours.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
mcq

Post by mcq »

DaveF wrote:Image

I really love Frank's Wild Years, Dave, as I do Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones. It brings back happy memories from the late Eighties when I first started listening to Waits, beginning with the excellent compilation, Asylum Years, and finally moving on to that wonderful trilogy. I remember picking up the excellent concert film, Big Time, on video and watching it over and over again. (It's a great shame that it was never reissued on DVD.) Getting back to Frank's Wild Years, the final three tracks - Cold Cold Ground, Train Song, and Innocent When You Dream - constitute one of the greatest conclusions to any album I've ever heard. And Innocent When You Dream is one of Waits's very finest moments, in my opinion. Maybe even his very finest. If there is one track that, to me, epitomises the man's work and outlook on life, it's that one.

Here it is on Big Time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7iv0Rg ... re=related