Sunday Morning Music

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Brutus1968

Re: Sunday Morning Music

Post by Brutus1968 »

cybot wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:29 pm
Derek wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:22 pm This Sunday morning I'm listening to a playlist off of an old laptop via WTF into a very capable DAC just to get a feeling for different artists and sound/recording quality because I got some nice equipment to play with for a while anyway.

I won't go into all the stuff I'm listening to but just a couple that took my ear...

Levon Helm, Dirt Farmer, 2007 on the Vanguard label.

Mark Kozelek, What's Next To The Moon, 2001 on Badman Recording Co.
For those not familiar; these are rearranged acoustic covers of Bon Scott, AC/DC songs to the point of you'll be forgiven not recognising the original song at all..
Mark Kozelek: Sounds similar to what Giant Sand did in relation to unrecognisable covers. I’ll let you name the album ;)
I think I have that record, you mean the one with a jazzy version of a Black Sabbath song?

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:50 pm
cybot wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:29 pm
Derek wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:22 pm This Sunday morning I'm listening to a playlist off of an old laptop via WTF into a very capable DAC just to get a feeling for different artists and sound/recording quality because I got some nice equipment to play with for a while anyway.

I won't go into all the stuff I'm listening to but just a couple that took my ear...

Levon Helm, Dirt Farmer, 2007 on the Vanguard label.

Mark Kozelek, What's Next To The Moon, 2001 on Badman Recording Co.
For those not familiar; these are rearranged acoustic covers of Bon Scott, AC/DC songs to the point of you'll be forgiven not recognising the original song at all..
Mark Kozelek: Sounds similar to what Giant Sand did in relation to unrecognisable covers. I’ll let you name the album ;)
I think I have that record, you mean the one with a jazzy version of a Black Sabbath song?

Best
Yeah that’s the one! Cover Magazine.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I've been trying to put my room back into some sort of order, CDs, cables, amps, speakers, books, all kinds of odds and ends, when I found this forgotten gem. I only have two of his albums, (to my shame), the other being "'till the sun turns black", so I put it in my little Philips CD player and sat back wondering why I hadn't listened to it more often. "Trouble" is 20, yes, twenty years old now. Produced by the brilliant Ethan Johns who also lends his multi-instrumentalist musicianship to what is a really wonderful album.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Derek wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:52 am Image

I've been trying to put my room back into some sort of order, CDs, cables, amps, speakers, books, all kinds of odds and ends, when I found this forgotten gem. I only have two of his albums, (to my shame), the other being "'till the sun turns black", so I put it in my little Philips CD player and sat back wondering why I hadn't listened to it more often. "Trouble" is 20, yes, twenty years old now. Produced by the brilliant Ethan Johns who also lends his multi-instrumentalist musicianship to what is a really wonderful album.
Jesus 20 years!! Great album
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

It's nearly 10 years old, but I only found out about this album yesterday. Tigerlily was a regular listen back in the 90s and beyond, so it's interesting to hear the songs reworked. Normally I don't really care for this kind of concept, but this certainly seems to offer something.
rsz_screenshot_20240721-093318.jpg
rsz_screenshot_20240721-093318.jpg (81.32 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I love that "reworked" album. Love the original too and find they both sit comfortably side by side. If you get me!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yep, really enjoyed it this morning, and totally agreed they both seem to sit together. Like two sides of the same coin.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Derek

Post by Derek »

A bit of a different feel this Sunday.
While hunting some Music Maker (a blues label) releases within my wee collection, I happened upon a trio of well forgotten CDs from JJ Grey & Mofro.
I found them in a slip case wallet, (along with a heep of other forgotten CDs), on a back shelf, in a small wardrobe I seldom have cause to delve into.
For those not familiar, kinda' Country, Soul, Southern Rock, with a thimble of Funk, a varied mud puddle that works really well.

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.